Author Topic: Medal ribbon  (Read 9352 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Medal ribbon
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 June 17 17:25 BST (UK) »
Not sure Jebber.  The Garwhal Rifles have (unless there has been a relatively recent change), in common with other rifle regiments, a bugle at the centre of their badge and buttons.  That said, I haven't found any with the Maltese Cross and a pattern of four somethings in the centre!

The pips are easy enough, they are standard British Officers' pips (Bath Star) with Tria Juncta in Uno around the centre.  Black because blah blah rifles as before.  Although only two can be seen, it looks like the inner two of three captain's pips.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Captain Clarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 June 17 18:10 BST (UK) »
British army Chaplain apparently. ;D

Back the original question however. The second medal colour is gold / green / gold.

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 June 17 18:54 BST (UK) »
British army Chaplain apparently. ;D

Back the original question however. The second medal colour is gold / green / gold.

Yes, good find.

Do you have the medal ribbons?  Because I agree with Ruskle about the Oman Peace Medal. The colours are clear enough to be silver green silver, gold would show up darker.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Captain Clarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 June 17 20:14 BST (UK) »
Close up of ribbons and definitely gold so the jury is out on that one.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 June 17 20:20 BST (UK) »
Well done, a chaplain it is indeed.  Completely overlooked the men of the cloth having black buttons - obsessed with Rifle Regiments!!  Captain Clarke  sounds as if this was known all along or am I reading too much into his/her post!

Medal ribbons, deffo a General Service Medal ribbon but for where depends on time frame as said.   Unless the gold/green/gold comes from the actual ribbon and not a photo I still go for the Oman Peace Medal, see oman peace medal british troops for colours . A GSM was awarded for a number of what the system calls minor campaigns including Dhofar 69-75 which would accord with the timing of the Peace Medal.  If the medal is held, the clasp will say where it was for.

In sum, I think we are looking at the uniform of a RAChD captain (correctly Chaplain to the Forces 4th Class) who served for some time in Oman, best guess the Dhofar campaign

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 June 17 23:52 BST (UK) »
The ribbon in your photo comes up as white/green/white. Are you saying that in reality it is yellow/green/yellow?

I found a yellow/green/yellow ribbon when I looked yesterday but dismissed it because I thought your ribbon was white ..... I will see if I can find it just in case.  :)

Added: I  must have been imagining it, as I can't find it now. White/green/white only I'm afraid. I did find the same ribbon looking a bit grubby and the white had yellowed a bit.  ;)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 01 July 17 10:19 BST (UK) »
Ruskie

You were right with your first post on this. If you feel you want to keep looking for another ribbon,
 then may I offer these pointers?  (If this looks too much like a bit of a lecture, feel free to ignore).

While the colours and pattern are of course important:

It has to be a campaign medal not a gallantry or similar as they would be worn in order before the campaign medal (in this case the GSM) he is already wearing.
It has to be one that is authorised for British troops to wear.
It has to be one awarded in the correct time frame (in this case 1962 to 2007 as indicated by the uniform pattern and the GSM).

Those parameters, which can best be checked out initially here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_awards_and_decorations_of_the_United_Kingdom#Order_of_wear confirm your proposal of the Oman Peace Medal which again I support.

Perhaps Pete would indicate what the purpose of the identification is?  Is it to confirm other information held about a known individual or is it simply for interest?  If it is the former then further investigation might be possible, with the latter then it doesn't really matter what the ribbon is does it?

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 01 July 17 12:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the lecture Max.  ;) ;D

I discovered fairly quickly that there doesn't appear to be anything else like this ribbon. As you say, my original find is probably correct.

(added: I'm only joking about the "lecture")  ;D

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 01 July 17 13:43 BST (UK) »
Ruskie

I think we know each other well enough now for me to know you would take the "lecture" with tongue firmly in cheek  ;D

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk