Author Topic: Alexander Rollo born 23 April 1834 in Balmerino  (Read 3035 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Alexander Rollo born 23 April 1834 in Balmerino
« on: Friday 30 June 17 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I am on a mission again, this time to find out a bit more - anything more, in fact - about Alexander.

Alexander was the first son and first child of Alexander Rollo 1805-1865 and Elizabeth Duncan 1811-1871. I have attached section of a Merchant Navy Registered Ticket No.410909 for him issued at Perth (Scotland) on 23 May 1848 that shows he "First went to Sea as 'Boy'."

In 1851 he was residing at Coultra, Parish of Balmerino, Fife, Scotland with his maternal Grandparents George and Elspet Duncan.

There is another document, also attached, that shows a possible death for him in Buenos Ayres [sic] in 1854.

There is no record of a death for Alexander in the Scottish records - or the rest of the UK that I can find

Is there any way the death record can be linked more positively to Alexander?

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Rollo born 23 April 1834 in Balmerino
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 June 17 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just an observation.  Is the 21 in the second column of the death entry his age? If so it is within the possible age range for Alexander.

Can't read the writing in a further column - something then Dundee.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 June 17 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the age is given as "21" in that column - I should have retained the column headers in the image.

The other entry could be something about the Board of Trade who issued maritime "tickets".  Other than that, it doesn't offer any more help.

I'm fairly sure it is the same Alexander but it's one of these finds that still leaves you up in the air.

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 June 17 11:14 BST (UK) »
Have you checked if there's any record (baptism or censuses, etc) for any other Alexander Rollo born Dundee 1833 +/- 2-ish?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 June 17 13:49 BST (UK) »
Just wondering about another Alexander:

Ferry Port on Craig (Tayport), Fife

bpt 15 July 1832 Alexander Rollo. Parents - Walter Rollo and Anne Turpie

Both places are pretty close to Dundee  :-\

Gadget

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 June 17 14:11 BST (UK) »
Just wondering about another Alexander:
Ferry Port on Craig (Tayport), Fife  bpt 15 July 1832 Alexander Rollo. Parents - Walter Rollo and Anne Turpie
Both places are pretty close to Dundee  :-\
Gadget

Hi again Gadget

This one checks out and (I think) can be eliminated:

Application to be Examined for a Certificate of Competency as 'Second Mate" submitted 23 Feb 1854 records Alexander's List of Testimonials and Statement of Service in the following Dundee registered vessels:
"Catherine Spence" as Boy 1 Mar 1849 - 31 Dec 1850
"Twin Brothers" as Boy 4 Jan 1851 - 16 Mar 1851
"Ann" as Ordinary Seaman 17 Mar 1851 - 19 Apr 1851
"Rose" as Seaman 21 Feb 1852 - 22 Aug 1852
"Vine" as Seaman 23 Aug 1852 - 9 Apr 1853
"Aid" as Seaman 11 May 1853 - 1 Sep 1853 and again 13 Sep 1853 - 21 Dec 1853

Board of Trade Certificate of Competency No.9.893 as "Second Mate" issued at Dundee 6 Mar 1854

Chiad Fhear

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 June 17 14:14 BST (UK) »
Have you checked if there's any record (baptism or censuses, etc) for any other Alexander Rollo born Dundee 1833 +/- 2-ish?
Gadget

Hi Gadget

This avenue has been well covered from what is, or what's not, available in Edinburgh, Balmerino, etc., etc.  I'm working alongside a Rollo family descendant who lives in Brisbane. I'm in Fife.

Chiad Fhear

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 June 17 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi CF,

Just a thought...

Do you know where Alexander's parents are buried & whether there may be headstone i.e possibly with details of Alexander too?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 June 17 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi CF,
Just a thought...
Do you know where Alexander's parents are buried & whether there may be headstone i.e possibly with details of Alexander too?
Annie

Hi Annie

Thanks for you input. Can you leave that thought with me for the moment and I'll ask my cousin.

I've had a look through the inscriptions of the headstones in Balmerino cemetery and found the family one but there's no mention of Alexander:

239.   Sacred to the memory of Mary Rollo d. 10.5.1854 aged 6m. Also Robert Rollo d. 6.4.1858 aged 5y. Also Francis Rollo drowned at St. Petersburgh 28.6.1863 aged 20y. Also Alexander Rollo d. 4.10.1865 aged 59y [Alexander's father]. All deeply regretted by their family who has erected this to their memory. Also Elizabeth Duncan our mother d. 23.8.1871 aged 59y [Alexander's mother]. Also our youngest brother James Rollo lost his life in the Bay of Biscay 24.1.1879 aged 21y. Also Elizabeth Rollo daughter of Alexander and Elizabeth Rollo d. 25.2.1930 aged 81y

Regards

Chiad Fhear