Author Topic: Robert & Thomas Leng living Lastingham area c1809  (Read 1334 times)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Robert & Thomas Leng living Lastingham area c1809
« on: Friday 30 June 17 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've just found the banns for my ancestor Charles Leng's wedding to Kezia Holroyd in Lastingham 28 may 1809, the two witnesses are Robert and Thomas Leng, unfortunately I have no birth for Charles who would have been born around 1780 as he was 68 at the time of his funeral in 1848.  It would be likely Thomas and Robert were his brothers, or his father and brother, but without a birth family I can't be sure.  A Leng historian called Alan Leng was in contact about 2009 and he was sure Charles had a brother George, both living same area, both eldest son William and they both had 5 children some if I remember besides William had similar names.

I did wonder if Thomas Leng and Elizabeth Raw were Charles's parents but they did not have sons called Charles, Robert or George  :(

Any help would be appreciated,

Julie

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Robert & Thomas Leng living Lastingham area c1809
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 July 17 15:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks warncooort

I had the old IGI batches as a favourite tab, but noticed they didn't seem to work linking to family search anymore, I've also found family search a lot harder to navigate these last few months with all the changes but I'll keep on checking, after 10 years research I'm used to things not working like they should do.

Julie

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 July 17 02:27 BST (UK) »
The 1815 banns for George Leng of Kirby Moorside & Hannah Harland of Lastingham show the witnesses as Charles & Thomas Leng.

George & Hannah moved initially to Lastingham, but in 1871 George is in Brompton with his son Isaac and gives his age as 84 (c1787) and born Bilsdale.

Possible baptisms for George at Bilsdale:
19 Mar 1786 s/o Richard
12 Apr 1789 s/o Leonard
05 Jul 1789 s/o John

I think Richard died in 1795 and I cannot find a will for him, but there are wills indexed as Helmsley for Leonard (1817) and John (1823) that may be worth investing in.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 July 17 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Jomot

Thanks for your reply, it does sound like George, Charles, Robert and Thomas are related, I hadn't noticed Charles was a witness to George's wedding.  I think the Helmsley registers might be in the Harrogate library reference section I'll have a look and see if there is any reference to Richard, Leonard and John's families in them.  I'll also plough through familysearch although lately it feels like the search results bear no answer to your searches, even using the batch numbers as reference.

Regards

Julie

Offline D J B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 November 17 18:59 GMT (UK) »
I don,t know if you have any burial information but the inscription in St Mary,s reads as below
" Erected in memory of Charles Leng who died April 6th 1848 aged 67 years . Also of Kezia his wife who died October 16 1842 aged 63 years and of Daniel their Son who died June 9 1846 aged 27 years ."

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi DJB

Thank you for your reply, I didn't have Charles and Kezia's burial inscription/gravestone details, I've seen his son Robert's gravestone but couldn't find Charles, it does help pin down his birth year as the  1841 census isn't the most reliable of resources for birth years, if he would have turned 68 later that year he would have been born 1780 if he had celebrated his 67th birthday that year he must have been born 1779, so it does help rule out anyone born before 1779 or after 1781.  Where there is no birth I have found a birth under the mother's maiden name and then a wedding followed the following year with subsequent children having their father's name as happened with William (Crosby) Boddy but nothing to support this being the case with Charles.