Author Topic: Jane Lamont and John Eadie, 1843, Alva and Logie, Stirlingshire  (Read 2539 times)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Lamont and John Eadie, 1843, Alva and Logie, Stirlingshire
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 June 17 15:44 BST (UK) »
There is a death for a Jean Hutton(or Lamont) . age 77 , 1896 Grangemouth Stirling(shire).

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 June 17 15:47 BST (UK) »
Familysearch has;
John Lamont Or Eadie
Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950
birth:   21 August 1843   ALVA, STIRLING, SCOTLAND   
mother:   Jean Lamont

Have you viewed the original on SP as it should name the father given that he's recorded as 'Lamont Or Eadie'?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline HantsMark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 July 17 10:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you Trish and Annie,
Ironically, getting that birth certificate open many doors (3 steps forward) but then closed some (2 doors back).

It allowed me to go back three generations to Dunblane, where further success depends on a lot of hard detective work as everyone in Dunblane was called John in those days. I think even the womenfolk.

But the reason for the door closing was because suddenly I discovered that the parents of Isabella Lawson were not who we had long thought they were. We thought her parent were a William Lawson and a Jessie Smith from around Edinburgh which led to all kinds of interesting people...but alas, on the Eadie-Lawson marriage certificate, it says her parents were a Robert Lawson, a deceased ploughman and one Janet Trotter. The Trotter surname (meaning that I am related to Del boy and Rodney) appears in several of the Eadie-Lawson children so that certainly makes sense.\

However, finding Isabella's birth or anything about Lawson or Trotter is the next adventure!

I feel a trip coming on to central Scotland!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 July 17 13:56 BST (UK) »
As ev said;
There is a death for a Jean Hutton(or Lamont) . age 77 , 1896 Grangemouth Stirling(shire).

If still interested in her I would look at that on Scotlandspeople.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 July 17 14:08 BST (UK) »
Agree Trish as it would name both parents, with mother's maiden name (if known to the informant).

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 July 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
Any thoughts on how to get more on Jane Lamont or John Eadie's father? I have tried some of the logical Ancestry.co.uk searches using these surnames, dates and areas but have drawn a blank.

See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
If you do that, make sure to spend a couple of days in the Scotland's People Centre in Edinburgh before you go to Stirlingshire. Almost all of the surviving records you will want to see are in Edinburgh, and you will just waste your time and probably get frustrated if you try to go round churches looking for records.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.