Author Topic: Shaughnessy-Power families, Barrettstown-Waterstown.  (Read 5222 times)

Offline scarlett0017

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shaughnessy-Power families, Barrettstown-Waterstown.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 06 July 17 19:55 BST (UK) »
I'm inclined to think the Shaughnessys were from the Barrettstown near Caragh because there is none showing in the other Barrettstown and Bridget's birth cert says Barrettstown Newbridge, the Barrettstown near Caragh is the nearest to Newbridge.
They are probably buried in Barrettstown graveyard, but it's unlikely they have a headstone, most people couldn't afford them, I'll have a look next I'm there, should be this month.
Arthur Power is worth more study.
Land Registry records for Barrettstown would be interesting to see, that Pat Shaughnessy getting a loan to buy land is interesting.

I'm stuck at the same point you are with my families, I've never been able to get back due to the poor parish records, although on family is in the Applotment books which I don't think I checked for yours yet.

I had a look through a book of photographs of the people from that area, sadly no Shaughnessys or Powers in it.
I'll see if I can get a search term that will get you a result on the paper tomorrow.

Yeah i think it is the Barrettstown of Newbridge Caragh because thats come up on a lot of stuff, and its come up on James & Alicia's Marriage Cert - at the RCC of Caragh in the registers district of Naas & Caragh.  They were married by a Denis Muldowney, if thats any help.
I found that James sometimes used the name Jas Shaughnessy, i saw that on Patricks Birth Cert, and on Bridgets Baptisim record.

Maybe Arthur is related to William or Alicia, i will look into it more as well, see if anything shows up.
Wow, it would be great to see some photos of them, i have a photo of my Grandmother with Catherine, Patricks sister.

Still no joy with the paper i'm afraid, need to brush up on my search skills :)
So they may not have been involved in those evictions then?

There is something about the land, not sure what though.  would be interesting to see if he got a loan, why he got it, and then turned up in Dublin.
I wonder were they up there when James died?  we need his death cert to be certain.  If Alicia died in Dublin i wonder if they buried her there or in Kildare.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 06 July 17 23:41 BST (UK) »
If they were from the Caragh Barrettstown than they may well have been involved in the evictions, that Barrettstown is part of the Clongorey Estate owned by the O'Kellys.

I did have a bit of a look at the Powers, there seems to be a line of Arthur and Edward Powers on the land in Waterstown but the same problem arises with the lack of parish records to connect William and Catherine to them.
The Arthur Power in Waterstown in 1901 is the son of Edward, it's on his marriage to Catherine Lennon in 1883 Dublin South, it's the same Arthur as Catherine Lennon is the mother of Edward born 1886 Naas.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Kildare/Donore/Waterstown/1441170/

Griffith's has an Arthur in Waterstown and also the Applotment books have an Arthur Power in Waterstown.
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/index.jsp
Hard to tell if it's the same Arthur in each as we have no idea of age, there could even be another man between them. Hopefully when more of the earlier death and marriage cert images come online some of these question can be answered.

Offline scarlett0017

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 07 July 17 10:51 BST (UK) »
If they were from the Caragh Barrettstown than they may well have been involved in the evictions, that Barrettstown is part of the Clongorey Estate owned by the O'Kellys.

I did have a bit of a look at the Powers, there seems to be a line of Arthur and Edward Powers on the land in Waterstown but the same problem arises with the lack of parish records to connect William and Catherine to them.
The Arthur Power in Waterstown in 1901 is the son of Edward, it's on his marriage to Catherine Lennon in 1883 Dublin South, it's the same Arthur as Catherine Lennon is the mother of Edward born 1886 Naas.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Kildare/Donore/Waterstown/1441170/

Griffith's has an Arthur in Waterstown and also the Applotment books have an Arthur Power in Waterstown.
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/index.jsp
Hard to tell if it's the same Arthur in each as we have no idea of age, there could even be another man between them. Hopefully when more of the earlier death and marriage cert images come online some of these question can be answered.

Has to be somebody up there connected to them in someway, because from here they remember visiting two old ladies up there when they were kids, possible in the 50s and 60s.
Could be the Powers if they were no Shaughnessys about after 1901.
We never did find a Death Cert for Bridget, what if she didn't die, i'm just going with she died because thats what others in the family believe.

Yeah and i did find a connection between James Shaughnessy and O Kelly, i do have his first name on the page i have.
Also a James Shaughnessy for the Clane polling district of Derreens, see attachment.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 07 July 17 17:21 BST (UK) »
What date is that Derreen's record?
Your not having any luck with the newspaper so I'll just pick out the relevant bits as I think the description of where the house was may be important.

'The next claim was that of Mr Peter Penthony O'Kelly, who claimed compensation for the loss sustained by the malicious burning of a dwelling house, his property, in the townland of Barrettstown, on the night of Wednesday, the 10 of October, 1883, or early on the following morning. £30.
(Skipping forward)
Mr Routledge the agent was examined by Mr White. He recovered possession of the place from the tenant, O'Shaughnessy, by an ejectment process.
(skipping forward, still questioning Routledge )
What reason have you to believe the fire was malicious? There was a great deal of trouble with this man who was ejected for the house.
How long was it from the time of he was ejected till the burning took place? The ejectment was in February and the fire in October.
Where was he living in the mean time? In a house on the other side of the ditch.
(skipping forward)
Mr Rutledge in reply to Mr White said that after O'Shaughnessy had been put out he erected another house on the land close to where he had lived. He(Mr Rutledge) had levelled the house.
(skipping forward)
P Fulham, the balliff was examined next. He got possession of the place for the sheriff. The fire took place about 9.30 in the morning. He saw it as he was on his way to Naas to attend at the Quarter Sessions where he was to give evidence in cases that were pending against other tenants. In reply to Mr Brown he said that he saw the house several times between February and October. There was a fastening on the door but "it was not put on." The house was close to two roadsand was partly built of mud. As to it being manure he could not say it was. The evicted tenant had thatched about a fourth of the roof some time previously. He never saw any props or under pinning to the walls.
(skipping forward)
In reply to further questions witness said he did not think there was anything in the house that would ignite. There had been a dresser and form but they had been removed.'

The skipped bits are just about O'Kelly's right or other wise to make the claim, the value of the house, if it was secured or not and such like.
The interesting line I put in bold, near two roads, we have three townlands named for the O'Shaughnessys, Barretstown, Thomastown and now Derreens.
Thomastown and Derreens are beside each other, Barrettstown is on the other side of the road. There are several roads meeting in this area.
O'Shaughnessy built another house on the other side of the ditch which Rutledge leveled so where did O'Shughnessy go than, did he build another house? (In another part Rutledge calls it a hut, was this the same place that was leveled or another dwelling) Which townland did he end up in? We'll never know for sure but he doesn't appear to have left the area, he wanted his land back and the loan to Pat to buy land looks like they did get their farm back.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 07 July 17 19:38 BST (UK) »
Just discovered Barrettstown and Caragh cemeterys are on Billion Graves. The Arthur Power family are in Caragh.
https://billiongraves.com/cemetery/Barrettstown-Cemetery/293486
the link to Caragh is on the same page.

Barretstown is not complete, some of my lot aren't there.

Offline scarlett0017

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 10 July 17 23:41 BST (UK) »
Just discovered Barrettstown and Caragh cemeterys are on Billion Graves. The Arthur Power family are in Caragh.
https://billiongraves.com/cemetery/Barrettstown-Cemetery/293486
the link to Caragh is on the same page.

Barretstown is not complete, some of my lot aren't there.

Thats great, i couldn't find the grave anywhere.  James & Alicia are probably in one where the headstone is faded, or as you said they might not have one at all.  How would you pin point the grave if it didn't have a headstone?  I wonder if they mapped them out using numbers?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 00:39 BST (UK) »
Doubt anyone knows how many are buried in that cemetary, it old, very uneven ground and has loads of trees. The graves are quite scattered about and there is lots of broken, half buried and worn headstones. I have to go there this week, the cemetary mass is on Friday so I should be able to take a photo to give you an idea what it's like.

Offline scarlett0017

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 13 July 17 23:06 BST (UK) »
Doubt anyone knows how many are buried in that cemetary, it old, very uneven ground and has loads of trees. The graves are quite scattered about and there is lots of broken, half buried and worn headstones. I have to go there this week, the cemetary mass is on Friday so I should be able to take a photo to give you an idea what it's like.
That would be great ;D

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 14 July 17 14:43 BST (UK) »
There is a hill in the middle of the cemetery, the rest of the photos are taken from the top of the hill moving from left to right.
The 'tent' is over the altar for mass tonight. The empty looking grass/mud areas are full of unmarked graves.