Author Topic: Shaughnessy-Power families, Barrettstown-Waterstown.  (Read 5199 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shaughnessy-Power families, Barrettstown-Waterstown.
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 June 17 22:21 BST (UK) »

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 June 17 22:46 BST (UK) »
I decided to check where Waterstown is, I never noticed before that there are two Barrettstown, one next to Waterstown near Sallins, there is an Arthur Power in Waterstown but no Shaughnessy in this Barrettstown in Griffith's
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,687317,723608,8,10

and the other near Caragh
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,683421,720440,8,10

Waterstown and Barrettstown is in the Civil Parish of Brideschurch in the RC Parish of Caragh
but not in the O'Kelly's estate of Clongory
The area known as Clongorey is made up of four townlands Clongorey, Barrettstown, Blacktrench and Tankardsgarden covering 2500 acres mainly bog.

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 June 17 23:38 BST (UK) »
I just did a lot of editing to reply #3 adding parish records.

Offline scarlett0017

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 July 17 00:09 BST (UK) »
@Sinann

Yeah somebody else told me that about the birth records, is there anyother way to find out there exact birth dates, I have a year of birth for Alicia Power of about 1832.  Would really love to know the mothers names of both James and Alicia, there could be other siblings as well, I don’t know of.
I’ll keep looking on the Caragh Parish records, something might pop up.

Yeah saw that book on the evictions, but I was unsure if it was the same James.
The same with the petty court session stuff I found, unsure if it’s the same James.

Yeah Patrick’s father James was listed as a Labourer, so it could have been James father that was the farmer.  I wonder if that Arthur Power is anything to Alicia Power?
Thank you for those Certs, that’s great.

Nah, couldn’t get the paper up at all, I searched and searched but got nowhere, sorry.

Patrick was in Dublin from 1901, first in 11 Albert Place, then 4 St Johns Cottages, last known place was 9 Harold Road.  Don’t even know if he remarried or not, but I think his sister Catherine took on the roll of “stepmother”, when he died in 1946 he was still listed as being a widower.
He worked as a Railway Guard/Porter, I don’t know what line though, I presume it was Houston Station, but not sure.
I found three Shaughnessy’s on the Electoral Roll for 1911 in Dublin, all living in the same place as Patrick, but I don’t know if they are related.
http://databases.dublincity.ie/burgesses/search_new.php?searchtype=street&year=1911&address01=KILMAINHAM%20LANE

That John Bentley thing threw me as well I wasn’t expecting something like that to come up, no idea what that’s about, or even if it is the same James Shaughnessy.  Haven’t been able to find out anything else on that.

Two Barrettstown’s, oh god   Roger from Ireland Reaching Out did mention a connection he found for Waterstown and James Shaughnessy.  I think Alicia could have been from Waterstown and James was from Barrettstown, and that’s how they met living so close.

@dathai

Blimey, its so great to have James Birth Cert, we were wondering if Mary had died in child birth or just after, but with this now we know she didn’t, she died the year after.

Fantastic to have Alice’s (Alicia’s) Death Certificate, surprising how the names change on all the different documents through out the years.

@Sinann had given me Mary’s Death Cert, still don’t know what she died of, somebody thinks it could be “Brights” Disease.  And we made contact with the rest of her family down in Tipperary/Offaly, so that was great, we just don’t know where she is buried yet.

Yeah I got a land assesment 1853 for a James Shaughnessy in Brannoxtown, I think its a different James Shaughnessy.

I suspect both James and Alicia are buried in a very old graveyard somewhere close to where they lived, Barrettstown/OldConnell/Waterstown.

Not straying off the mark at all, James and Mary’s son will be so happy, he had wanted me to find out something for him about his parents, this is brilliant.

I didn’t know about that guy on Ancestry, I could have helped him out, probably too late now though its going back to 2008.  He has some information on there that isn’t quite right, I don't have my tree on Ancestry.

@Sinann @Dathai 
Thank you so much for all your help so far, it is very much appreciated, its just so brilliant to have all of this information.

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 July 17 00:59 BST (UK) »
I'm inclined to think the Shaughnessys were from the Barrettstown near Caragh because there is none showing in the other Barrettstown and Bridget's birth cert says Barrettstown Newbridge, the Barrettstown near Caragh is the nearest to Newbridge.
They are probably buried in Barrettstown graveyard, but it's unlikely they have a headstone, most people couldn't afford them, I'll have a look next I'm there, should be this month.
Arthur Power is worth more study.
Land Registry records for Barrettstown would be interesting to see, that Pat Shaughnessy getting a loan to buy land is interesting.

I'm stuck at the same point you are with my families, I've never been able to get back due to the poor parish records, although on family is in the Applotment books which I don't think I checked for yours yet.

I had a look through a book of photographs of the people from that area, sadly no Shaughnessys or Powers in it.
I'll see if I can get a search term that will get you a result on the paper tomorrow.

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 July 17 01:08 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say, Thomastown on the children's Baptisims is right next to Barrettstown near Caragh.

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 July 17 11:56 BST (UK) »
The newspaper, click on the Search/Results and in the top of the Refine Search on the left put Barrettstown in the 'All of these Words' in the date area lower down put 1884 in both don't bother with month or day.
The report you want should be the only result.
Click of the image of the full page and the page will open.
Barrettstown will be highlighted in yellow in the second column about two thirds down.
The heading just above that which is very small reads BURNING AT BARRETTSTOWN.