Author Topic: My email has been hacked  (Read 3970 times)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: My email has been hacked
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 July 17 14:28 BST (UK) »
I just hope that by writing this, I'm helping somebody avoid your problems in the future.

That's very altruistic of you Martin, but speaking as one of the great unwashed who haven't had 40-year careers in IT, I would be one of those sad types giving you a blank or bewildered look.

I have never heard of anyone 'backing up' an email address book.  In plain English please - which buttons do I press to make that happen?

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 July 17 14:35 BST (UK) »
Carol, I can't tell you specifically unless it's one that I use, but it should be readily visible on a drop-down menu.  Look for 'Address book' and then 'save' or 'export'.  Tell me what mail program you use and I'm sure someone will help if I can't.  Or search on the net for 'save xxxxx address book'.

Martin

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 July 17 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin :)

I'm using Outlook with Windows 10 and can't see a relevant drop-down anywhere ???

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 July 17 15:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Martin, although it's Victoria who has the 'missing contacts' problem - I just can't find the drop-down for saving/exporting.

As it's after midnight here, I'd better leave this until tomorrow.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 July 17 16:19 BST (UK) »
Carol, keep looking, you will find it.  Also, somewhere there is likely to be a 'help' icon, that will lead you in the right direction.  Sorry for my confusion, I am bogged down with work.

Martin

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 08 July 17 00:36 BST (UK) »
In my Outlook Email there is an icon to the left of the title 'Outlook Email' - 9 dots in a blue square; click on that and you get 'Outlook People' , a list of your contacts. Among the list of commands to the right you should see 'Manage'; click on that and you will find the option Martin refers to - Export. I don't know what happens then as I've never used that function and don't know where they would finish up; a 'save-as' box, perhaps. Wish you well.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 08 July 17 19:04 BST (UK) »
That sounds very likely, but Pinot, I strongly recommend that you do export your own address data.

You would be offered the choice of where to save your data, and somewhere other than the same hard drive would be advised.  It is no good backing up data to the same place.

Martin

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 July 17 23:46 BST (UK) »
'You would be offered the choice of where to save your data, and somewhere other than the same hard drive would be advised.  It is no good backing up data to the same place.' (Martin)
Such as a memory stick or card?