Author Topic: patrick nolan kilkenny  (Read 842 times)

Offline stav01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
patrick nolan kilkenny
« on: Friday 30 June 17 18:49 BST (UK) »
I am actually researching a soldier 442 SM Patrick Nolan from co kilkenny. Who enlisted in the south African medical corps  at the start of the great war . He served in France and died while still a soldier in 1918. What I am trying to figure out is when he might have emigrated to south Africa . Thanks.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: patrick nolan kilkenny
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 July 17 06:15 BST (UK) »
If you search on the http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-records/passenger-lists-leaving-uk-1890-1960 you may find the shipping record. Here is his estate in the Bloemfontein archives.
DEPOT     VAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MHG                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 0                                                                     
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE N1375                                                                 
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          NOLAN, PATRICK.                                                       
STARTING  19180000                                                             
ENDING    19180000   
I will see if these are online for you.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 July 17 06:35 BST (UK) »
Here is his estate.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89LW-PZ5S?i=1304&cat=195564
Regimental sergeant major Patrick Nolan Kilkenny died in a Bloemfontein mental hospital from Paresis and exhaustion in 1918. He was admitted on the 18/7/1918 and died on the 21/10/1918. I looked up Paresis and this is what I found. https://thepsychologist.bps.org.uk/volume-25/edition-10/looking-back-fascinating-and-fatal-disease seems if you read his estate a lot further they say he died in the influenza epidemic in 1918!!!

Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline stav01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 July 17 11:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your information. It's great and I have never seen it before. Best regards.