Author Topic: Help Needed If Possible  (Read 2161 times)

Offline clg19821104

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help Needed If Possible
« on: Friday 30 June 17 20:17 BST (UK) »
I am new to this site so if I posted this in the wrong area please forgive me.

I have been researching my 5th Great Grandfather Daniel Kirgan (1760 -1842). I am a direct decendent from him. 25 years ago or so my family did all the could to find out who his parents were but they couldn't find anything other than he was born in 1760 Antrim Ireland and died in Ohio. All these years later I can't find anything more than what was already researched. Accroding the the family genealogy that was put in our Kirgan family Book, they couldn't find anything in the ireland census records on him. It's as if he just came out of no where to the USA.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed If Possible
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 June 17 21:57 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat but I'm a bit puzzled by this bit of your post "Accroding the the family genealogy that was put in our Kirgan family Book, they couldn't find anything in the ireland census records on him."
The first complete census for all Ireland is 1901 (only fragments of earlier ones for a few areas survive) and the dates are too early for most church records, etc. so it's not at all surprising that you haven't found any Irish records.
For any hope of finding Irish records you need to know the family's religion and a more exact location than 'Antrim' so that you can see if there are any possible church records or other surviving records.
Have a look at these two topics-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=498742.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=442233.0
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline clg19821104

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 July 17 01:04 BST (UK) »
The attachment that im adding is the Forward to the Family History Book that was done in 1993.

Offline clg19821104

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 July 17 01:06 BST (UK) »
This is all that is known about my 5th Great Grandfather Daniel Kirgan coming from Ireland. Everything else in the family book is about his life in the USA.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 July 17 13:07 BST (UK) »
Kirgan mention on hearth money roll 1669

can be Kirgan or Kerrigan, Cargan, McKirgan

http://www.billmacafee.com

then come down the page on right and click on Databases complied form 17th Century census subtitutes, then click (PDF) on 1630 Muster rolls Baronies of Cary, Dunlunce and Antrim,

you really need a town land name.

Offline clg19821104

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 July 17 18:58 BST (UK) »
Not how accurate this is but i've seen Ballymoney, Antrim, Northern Ireland listed by others on ancestry and other places.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 09:14 BST (UK) »
Not how accurate this is but i've seen Ballymoney, Antrim, Northern Ireland listed by others on ancestry and other places.

1760 is long before the start of birth registration in Ireland (1864). For a birth in 1760 you would need to rely on church baptism records. You haven’t said what Daniel’s denomination was, but the only church in Ballymoney with records for the 1760s is Ballymoney 1st Presbyterian whose baptism records start in 1750. (Their marriage records only start 1817). However those early records are incomplete and fire damaged.  Unless he happened to attend that church, and is in the records that survived, there’s probably no record of his birth in Ireland at all. And since he evidently moved to the US when he was around 17, there’s unlikely to be any other record of him or his family in Ireland either.
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 11:33 BST (UK) »
Sources?

I would be inclined to take everything written in your Kirgan 'family book' with great scepticism unless you have actually checked all the 'facts' in it after seeing County Antrim described as 'Ireland's northernmost county.'  ::)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline clg19821104

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 18:06 BST (UK) »
Where are some good places to search for Ireland families and information dating back to the 1700s and beyond?