Author Topic: Robinson & McKinley in Ontario  (Read 2346 times)

Offline skirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Robinson & McKinley in Ontario
« on: Saturday 01 July 17 00:00 BST (UK) »
John Robinson, wife Fanny Ann [nee McKinley] Robinson, their children and other family members arrived in Ontario from Donegal, Ireland in 1883. Fanny Ann [nee McKinley] Robinson most likely died around the age of 33 soon after arriving in Ontario, ca. 1883-1885. Over the years, the family lived in Chatham & Charing Cross in Kent County and Windsor in Essex County. Would anyone know how I would find the death information for Fanny Ann [nee McKinley] Robinson?

I have received a lot of assistance in researching this family from some wonderful Rootschatters over the years. The background to this can be seen at:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=350122.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=669046.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=758025.msg6082476#msg6082476

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robinson & McKinley in Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 July 17 16:17 BST (UK) »
Is there any chance Fanny was a nickname? I have found this late 1883 death for a Margaret Robinson age 33 in Essex Ontario. No parents listed, unfortunately.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9B9-XRRK

Anyway, food for thought.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline skirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 July 17 17:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks PB but that's not her. However, you got me thinking & I found a death for a Robinson woman who is listed without a given name that is a possibility:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9B9-XFN8?cc=1307826

Can I go any further on this death record?

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 July 17 19:52 BST (UK) »
Gosh, I don't think there is much more you can do with that record. You might try tracing the informant and see if you can find any kind of a comnnection. And 'A J' Robinson doesn't help much, either.

You can search through this link for possible burials. There is a Robinson with a ? And one as just F which may or may not be relevant. There is info at the website about how to obtain more info from this index.

http://ocfa.islandnet.com

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline skirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 July 17 00:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tip PB. Found the 2 burials you mentioned. I'll follow up with the Essex County branch of the OGS.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 09:09 BST (UK) »
Is it possible Fanny returned to Ireland with the 2 youngest children? Is there any family story on how Margaret and Andrew came back to Ireland - someone must have traveled with them.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline skirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 13:17 BST (UK) »
PB: I checked with the people at the OCFA & the 2 Robinson deaths that you found were not my Fanny Robinson.

Jacquie: I understand that there are records of incoming but not outgoing ships to/from Canada, so I cannot check shipping records to see if Fanny Robinson returned to Ireland. Is that correct? I checked death information in Ireland for Fanny Robinson but nothing turned up there.

This is a long shot but the shipping records show that Fanny Robinson boarded the ship to Canada but I believe that it doesn't necessarily mean that she arrived in Canada. Could she have died at sea & if so, how could I look this up?

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 13:29 BST (UK) »
Using other records I have seen as an example, I believe if she had died at sea that it would have been noted on the relevant passenger manifest.

PB

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 14:47 BST (UK) »
We all know we should be careful with these but there is a tree on Anc* connected to Andrew Robinson that indicates Fanny Ann died in Donegal Ireland in 1889. The transcription record they have attached gives the name as Anne Robinson so not necessarily your Fanny Ann. I don't know anything about Irish records....is an original record available that might have more info?

It would make sense, however, that Fanny went back to Ireland with the younger children (surely someone had to accompany them). Perhaps she just didn't want to stay in Canada and she and John separated?

If you have an Anc* sub you might try contacting the tree holder.

Anyway, more food for thought.

PB