Author Topic: Trenwith (Poldark) - is it Kernowek?  (Read 1167 times)

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trenwith (Poldark) - is it Kernowek?
« on: Saturday 01 July 17 00:15 BST (UK) »
Welsh speaker, follower of Poldark; I know little Cornish but am intrigued by its survival in place and personal names. 'Chynoweth' as a personal name - Carly etc -  is familiar as equivalent to the Welsh 'Tŷ Newydd' - New House, but wonder whether Trenwith is a made-up name or rather an English-accented version of Tre Nwith (or Noweth). 'w' is a vowel in Welsh, and can be a whole syllable, as in 'cwm', borrowed in English by geologists and mountaineers. I'd love to know.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Trenwith (Poldark) - is it Kernowek?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 July 17 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Pinot

Apparently Winston Graham invented the Poldark Estate of Trenwith.

https://www.stmichaelshotel.co.uk/2015/03/30/real-poldark-locations/

Regards
Giggsy

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 July 17 09:36 BST (UK) »
This link might be of interest - https://www.houseofnames.com/trenwith-family-crest

The Cornish noweth/nowyth/newyth is the same as Welsh 'newydd' and Breton 'nevez', meaning new.

Trenoweth and Trenewydd mean new farm.

David

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • MEM 1878 - 1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 July 17 09:51 BST (UK) »

David

Forgive me if my non-fluent Welsh is a bit rusty after lack of use over many years  but doesn't tre/tref mean town/settlement rather than farm?

Gadget

* so trenewydd would be new town
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 July 17 10:53 BST (UK) »
I think it can mean either:-

http://www.glen-johnson.co.uk/trenewydd/

http://www.alanrichards.org/placenames.html

Google translate does give it as Newtown and Tre newydd as new town.

David

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • MEM 1878 - 1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 July 17 11:06 BST (UK) »
I was taking each component part and using my very old Welsh knowledge  (born and raised in North Wales and learned the language in school Welsh plus family and friends) :)

I see that in Cornish, Tre is used as both farm and town. Ty (Welsh) or Tigh (Gaelic) would be house. Also think that Cartref is a similar derivative.

Re your first link - do you have any other examples of Trenewydd translating to new farm or is it specific to that estate?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 July 17 13:35 BST (UK) »
There is another here - http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4886906

Other quotes:-

The prefix TRE is often found in place names or family names in Celtic parts of the British Isles. In Cornish and Welsh names Tre means a farm, home or homestead. In Wales, there is an optional spelling, Tref, while Pentref denotes a settlement larger than a village. So, Trederwen means home of the oak; Tregynon is the home of Cynon: Tremadoc is the town of Madoc, and so forth.

Treboeth wen Welsh: Tre= farm, settlement, boeth =hot, burning (burnt [land], burnt for clearing, dry, parched),
(g)wen = white or blessed, thus "white burnt farm"

tref ‹treev› feminine noun
PLURAL trefi ‹trê -vi›
Colloquial form: tre ‹tree›
y dref / y dre  the town
1 place names settlement, farmstead; township; village of freemen (in contrast to pentref, where the bondsmen lived)

Dre (mutation of 'tre')   a town, home

Tref or Tre - a town, habitation

Trefalun
ETYMOLOGY: “trêv (by) (Afon) Alun / (the river) Alun”)
(tref / tre = trêv, farm) + (Alun)

David

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • MEM 1878 - 1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 July 17 13:40 BST (UK) »

tref ‹treev› feminine noun
PLURAL trefi ‹trê -vi›
Colloquial form: tre ‹tree›
y dref / y dre  the town
1 place names settlement, farmstead; township; village of freemen (in contrast to pentref, where the bondsmen lived)

Dre (mutation of 'tre')   a town, home

Tref or Tre - a town, habitation

Trefalun
ETYMOLOGY: “trêv (by) (Afon) Alun / (the river) Alun”)
(tref / tre = trêv, farm) + (Alun)

David

I think this is what I said/ how I translated tre/tref in my first posting on the subject so not sure why you're quoting it back to me   ;D

David

Forgive me if my non-fluent Welsh is a bit rusty after lack of use over many years  but doesn't tre/tref mean town/settlement rather than farm?

Gadget

* so trenewydd would be new town

Added

To answer Pinot's query, as far as I can see, Trenwith was a family name (see other threads on this board) and a sizeable estate near St Ives. Also, as Giggsy says, Winston Graham just made up Poldark's Trenwith  ;)

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 00:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for your interest and replies; I think Giggsycat's reply comes closest to answering my query, with many useful contributions from others. I am aware that 'Tre' in a Welsh place name can simply mean 'abode', as in 'Trefeddyg' - Doctor's (Medic's) house, without any farming connotations. I only regret that the admirable Winston Graham chose to write 'Trenwith' instead of 'Trenoweth', which would have given the name an added (authentic) Celtic tinge. Morwenna's character, as I was reminded in the last episode, is , of course, a Chynoweth.  :D