Author Topic: DNA match to fathers side but my dad doesn't?  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
DNA match to fathers side but my dad doesn't?
« on: Saturday 01 July 17 00:48 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if it's even possible.

Both by dad and myself (sadly I lost dad on May 12th) decided to try DNA mostly out of curiosity and we also hoped it might help with the family tree as dads paternal grandparents were both illegitimate and so we don't know who their fathers were.  So far hasn't really helped in that area.

The other odd thing and this has just happened a second time is I've matched to other descendants from my fathers side but he hasn't?  Mostly it's the other other way round as he is that one generation closer. 

As my mother passed away when I was young having dads DNA has helped me sort which matches are from mother's side and which are from dads.

But I'm really curious as to how I can match to descendants from his side but he hasn't?  Is this even possible?   Has anyone else had this?

Blessings
Deb

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA match to fathers side but my dad doesn't?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 July 17 02:00 BST (UK) »
Are you using Gedmatch?

If not I suggest you upload there.  Possibly your parents were related.  There's a "are my parents related" function on Gedmatch.

Where in the world are you?  If your parents were from the same area they might share ancestors.

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 July 17 02:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tip ... I will check into that as I'm not on Gedmatch.

My dad was born in Australia his mother's side had been here since the 1850's.  My mother was born in England. 

However my dads paternal grandparents were also from England ... his grandmother from Kingston on Thames although her heritage was her mother was born in India as her father (and his father) were both soldiers with the 60th royal rifles.  It's always been told that her father was in the Indian military and they were residing at the Kingston Barracks for sometime after they returned from India.  Her grandfather was born in Wokingham Berkshire and my mother does have some ancestors from that area too.

Dads grandfather was from Stroud in Gloucestershire so no connection that we know of there for my mother and this where one of my matches is also from (Horsley) no connection that I'm aware of there.

Will follow that up.

Blessings
Deb

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 July 17 09:11 BST (UK) »
The other question has to be how high a match?  Because if estimated distant cousins it could be just coincidental.  I've had so-called matches with people who don't match either of my parents and it can only be coincidence, because I have roughly 50% from each of my parents so any genuine matches I get must also match one or other of them. 

I've not investigated these matches but presume that at the chromosome level, I matched a small sequence which in my case was made up of an even smaller sequence inherited from one parent and an adjoining sequence from the other parent.  DNA matching has no way of knowing that this wasn't one continuous sequence inherited from just one of my parents.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 July 17 11:13 BST (UK) »
It's just a moderate match .. we know how we relate and where our shared ancestor is ... just dad doesn't have a match and as my mother passed away when I was young I can't tell if it's perhaps a yet unknown link to her?

I see you have Wades in your family too :-)

Blessings
Deb