Author Topic: Portsea/Portsmouth/ Isle of Wight/Hampshire Navy Records 1750 to 1800  (Read 590 times)

Offline Rap

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Portsea/Portsmouth/ Isle of Wight/Hampshire Navy Records 1750 to 1800
« on: Saturday 01 July 17 05:14 BST (UK) »
Hi.  I'm looking for the Naval records of William Scott born between 1737 and 1747 in the Portsea/Portsmouth/Isle of Wight/Hampshire or Devon areas.  We know that he had a maritime background.  Also looking for William's father-in-law, the Reverend James Mathews who we suspect was either a Chaplain on a ship or posted somewhere in the above places.  James Mathews' daughter married William in 1763 'Devon'.  We believe that William also served in the Navy alongside a 'servant' William Powell (no dates for him I'm afraid).  Does anyone know where I can find Navy records for this period of time?  Many thanks.  Rap

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Portsea/Portsmouth/ Isle of Wight/Hampshire Navy Records 1750 to 1800
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 12:12 BST (UK) »
William Scott and Elizabeth Matthews married by Licence at St Andrew, Plymouth (both of the parish) 16 Sept 1763.  Have you located the Licence  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rap

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 July 17 05:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rosie99.  Yes, we have the certificate and is the case with many of these, it offers very little other information.  Thanks for your help! Cheers.  Rap

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 July 17 10:30 BST (UK) »
Presumably this is the man referred to in ADM/106/1183/192 and ADM/106//1183/193 and a number of other records which describe him as Carpenter to the Queen or Carpenter of the Crown Storeship?

maxD

Search National Archives with William Scott in references ADM
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Rap

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 July 17 05:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks MaxD.  Yes, we have found these records in the National Archives, and we feel that this is him, however, we are trying to find a little more information for him such as place of birth and parent's names. We were hoping to find enlistment details, but I am beginning to feel that these just don't exist.  Thank you for all of your help.  Cheers. Rap.