Author Topic: The disappearing cousin -- Arthur James Walter DENING  (Read 2452 times)

Offline jestina_d

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The disappearing cousin -- Arthur James Walter DENING
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 July 17 04:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you Priscilla.  I had seen the RSL virtual war memorial, but not the joda site.  I tried emailing the person who posted that query to see if she gained any information in response to that post, but the email account is no longer active.  Thank you for your hunting and suggestions.

Cheers,
Jestina

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 July 17 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Charles relating to copying from the Australian National Archives.

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/fact-sheets/fs51.aspx

Gerry

Offline jestina_d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 06:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gerry.  I understand that if I have a WWII army file opened I can have it made accessible on-line for a fee.  I think I paid about $19 per file a year or so ago, but when I rang NAA today to check the fee they said at the beginning of the year it went up to $75 per file!  And apparently they don't offer hard copies any more, just digitisation (for $75) to be accessed online.  Apparently the increased fee is to cover costs. 

Cheers,
Jestina   

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 08:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Jestina,

$75 is a bit steep when you might not get any post WW2 information, $19 would be worth a punt.

When he was discharged from the AIF he was with the 2/12 Transport Platoon which I believe served at part of the 7th Division at Morotai towards the end of the war, it would be interesting to try and find out when they shipped out of Morotai where to back in Australia that's where he may have been discharged from the AIF.

Gerry

Offline jestina_d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 July 17 03:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gerry.

The AWM site confirms what you have said but adds little.

https://oldsite.awm.gov.au/unit/U56055/

"On 1 July 1945, [the 2/12th] landed at Balikpapan in Borneo. Well supported by artillery and tanks it captured its objectives with relatively light casualties, and its active role was over by 5 July. Following the end of the war on 15 August, 2/12th personnel were progressively returned to Australia for discharge. The battalion disbanded at Balikpapan on 1 January 1946."

At least now I know where he was n the latter part of the war.  Thanks again.

Cheers,
Jestina

Offline DeningSA1849

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is Tracy Harris nee DENING - Hoping someone is still monitoring this thread regarding Arthur James Walter DENING.  I am his great niece (my gfather is Arthurs brother John (Jack)) and have been searching for him since the 80's !
I have learnt over the decades that never give up on finding a disappearing ancestor - surprises do happen.  Having said that - Arthur is elusive.  I have followed the DENING name in Cenduna and the Northern Territory linked with the Aboriginal communities there -no luck.  I am hesitant to do a genealogy DNA test yet  although I think this may be the last option to try and find a connection with Arthur.  I did think at one time he may have been the Somerton Man in SA as his disappearance was around the time the Somerton man was discovered.
My Dad said that Arthur showed him some gold nuggets when he visited the family in 1946 and told him he was heading back to his claim in WA.   I am trying to navigate the WA mining leases to see if that will give me something.
I have checked out the WA newspapers as I assume that he went to WA sometime in the 20's as he had an Aunty Anna Newton and cousins there.  I have also searched with a plethora of possible name variations I can think of including Arthur using Smith as a surname. 
Thank you for your time
Tracy