Author Topic: Immigration/Emmigration.  (Read 1612 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration/Emmigration.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 July 17 19:48 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, being just a payroll sheet, there is nothing else about the men listed, other than that they were encamped at Niagara.

You mentioned  a post where he was on a crew list, so I'm assuming you have the age/address etc from that, but the attached image is the attestation signature over the signature from that crew list of Liverpool in 1899 on the Orotova.  They look like a match to me:

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 July 17 21:00 BST (UK) »
I had been looking at this man under the other post (you might want to close one of the other, it can get confusing and there can be duplication!).

One small addition related to something mentioned before is that, as said, his attestation refers to his previous service with Brabants Horse in South Africa.  In his attestation he says his service is "time expired" which means he had come to the normal end of some engagement.  However, the Brabants Horse record shows he only served 4 months in 1900 and there is a notation which could say Deserted.  My suggestion would be that it is his service in Brabants Horse, which was not time expired, which was the fact that, when checked, tripped him up. 

His career, if we call it that, thrown out of the British Army, seaman to Australia, travel to Canada, possibly Canadian Militia does not suggest a man I would like my daughter to bring home!

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 July 17 23:21 BST (UK) »
On the steamship Kelvinia, sailing from Liverpool to New Orleans, arriving 28 Feb 1915 has, as an addition to their crew list, a list of "Return Cattlemen"

First on the list is A. Swinnerton, head foreman, British, born Hanley, age 45, 5'5", grey hair, fair complexion, blue eyes, residence or address of next of kin: 618 Dauphine St New Orleans.

Right age, right birthplace? Opens a whole new can of worms? ???

Offline swinno

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 July 17 08:31 BST (UK) »
bbart,

I have had another researcher look at those two signatures, and like us he agrees that they are the same hand writing. I am waiting feed back for information regarding your latest fantastic find.
Yes you are right a can of worms indeed.

So Arnold was in America, this could explain why there is no further info about him, and with next of kin. Could this be a wife and children?
The Australian connection has been dismissed as it was a Arnold Reber Swinnerton who was born much later,1912. Coincidentally he ended up also in America.

Can you confirm those dates arriving 28 Feb 1915, that was arriving New Orleans?
it is shown that he enlisted at Liverpool in 24 April 1915.
It is possible that he sailed to America and then back again to enlist in the given time frame.

Interesting indeed,
Many thanks,
bswinno.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 July 17 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Swinno,

I think the line "residence or next of kin" doesn't necessarily mean there is next of kin.  I took it to mean, put either your address, or an address of next of kin.   I did look for an online New Orleans directory for 1910's, but could only find partially transcribed ones with select people.  It may just be some kind of boarding house he used (Arnold had a lot of men with him, 18 actually, listed as muleteers, most from New Orleans, most were American, no shared addresses).

As for the date, the Master John H Meikle signed off as leaving Liverpool 05 Feb 1915 and arriving New Orleans on 28 Feb 1915.   So a voyage time of 23 days does leave time to get back to enlist.

Offline swinno

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 July 17 19:08 BST (UK) »
bbart,

I see what you mean about put your address or an address for next of kin.
I Googled return cattlemen as to what it is.
It appears that either the shipping company or an agent hired people to look after
mainly cattle during the voyage.
I see that you have found the name muleteers. Makes me wonder if their cargo was Mules for
the front in France.
So it is feasible to say that Arnold's next voyage back to Liverpool gave him plenty of time to sign up.

many thanks,
bswinno.