Author Topic: Tracing Samuel Jamison/Jemison/Jamieson  (Read 877 times)

Offline Poodlz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing Samuel Jamison/Jemison/Jamieson
« on: Saturday 01 July 17 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to trace more information on my Gt-Gt-Gt Grandfather Samuel Jamieson.  We know he was born 25.7.1821 in Ireland - Father James & Mother Agness.  He married Maria Scott 05.01.1849 in Maghera, Londonderry.  They moved to Scotland & we have census records for 1851 and they sailed to NZ and arrived in 1863 on board 'Captain Cook'.
I would like to find more of the family in Ireland, brother's/sister's, etc. and also his Mother's maiden name.
Would appreciate any help.
Thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Samuel Jamison/Jemison/Jamieson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 July 17 17:09 BST (UK) »
You already started a topic looking for him a few years ago but said he was born in County Down  :-\

Samuel Jamieson
We have traced Samuel Jamieson (other spellings Jemison, Jameison) with his marriage in Maghera to Maria Scott in 1849 and the Marriage record states his father was James.  They then moved to Scotland and we have the census records whilst he was there before the travelled to New Zealand.
We have hit the brick wall with his birth and other family members.  His death certificate here in New Zealand states he was born in County Down about 1824 and his Mother was Agnes.
Would anyone have any info to help.
Thanks
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
  • The O'Kane Family Garvagh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 July 17 17:45 BST (UK) »
If he was born in Co. Down then he might be a brother of Agnes b.20th Aug 1835 with an address in Raffery Killyleagh Co. Down.
Denomination:Presbyterian   
Father: James Jamison   Mother:   Agnes

IF this is a sibling then there is also the marriage of Ann Jamison (father James) with the same address (Raffery) on 9th Nov 1847 to Hamilton Sloan, a farmer of Ballymacreely(father Moses)        
Denomination:   Presbyterian      

Also from Ballymacreely is Mary Jamison (father James)who married David Miskimin on 17th Dec 1851       

O'Kane, O'Mullan: Garvagh Derry
Bowe: Currabaha ,Waterford
McManus: Aghagallon ,Antrim
McGowan: Drumshambo, Leitrim

Offline Poodlz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 July 17 00:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help, this gives me more to work on.  The daughter would appear to tie in as Mother was Agnes.

Offline Poodlz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 09:02 BST (UK) »
I have now seen his death certificate which states he was born in County Down, but don't seem to be able to find his birth/christening records to confirm that the records you sent me match up??