Author Topic: Robert Butcher 1810 - 1852: "Sergeant In Metropolitan Police Force".  (Read 1882 times)

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Butcher 1810 - 1852: "Sergeant In Metropolitan Police Force".
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, in answer to your question about joining the police and still being a butcher, you might want to read up on how the Met came about.  My great (x4) grandfather George Maisey turned out to be one of the first set of Superintendents in the Met, which is a big step up from the occupation of shoemaker which we had him being on his marriage certificate !!  In his case, it appear he started working as a 'Night Constable' in the 1820's, which was like a private police force, which was obviously a secondary evening/night job I am assuming to earn extra case to support his family, whilst still being a Shoemaker. He seems to have progressed in this role, to eventually becoming a well respected leader in that business, if the newspaper reports are to be believed. As the private police got rolled up into the Met he was made into a Superintendent in 1830.

Richard
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Wellington - Dagenham, Essex
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, in answer to your question about joining the police and still being a butcher, you might want to read up on how the Met came about.  My great (x4) grandfather George Maisey turned out to be one of the first set of Superintendents in the Met, which is a big step up from the occupation of shoemaker which we had him being on his marriage certificate !!  In his case, it appear he started working as a 'Night Constable' in the 1820's, which was like a private police force, which was obviously a secondary evening/night job I am assuming to earn extra case to support his family, whilst still being a Shoemaker. He seems to have progressed in this role, to eventually becoming a well respected leader in that business, if the newspaper reports are to be believed. As the private police got rolled up into the Met he was made into a Superintendent in 1830.

Richard

Yes that was very interesting to read. My Robert Butcher was put down on his Marriage Certificate in 1840, as having a job as a Butcher. Then all of a sudden in the 1841 Census he is a Policeman. And then by around 1843, becomes a Police Sergeant. This explains to me that he could have actually joined the Police Force in 1835, as records in The National Archives suggest, and still carried on his job as a Butcher for 5/6 years at the same time.

That was one of the main things confusing me.

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 May 18 14:08 BST (UK) »
A police constable, Robert Butcher N225, shows up in the Tottenham area a few times from 1836, on The Old Baily website.

From 1840 a Robert Butcher N37 appears.

I have no idea wheather the same person can change numbers or not.

I had a look at the record at the National Archives website: MEPO4/333-338.
On there on image page 27, it states that Robert joined the Metropolitan Police, on the 25th of September 1835. And he died on the 10th of May 1852. I think one source for Robert's burial stated he was buried on the 5th of May 1852 in Tottenham. But I think this is probably a mistake in transcription, and may have been the 15th.
Anyway, going back to his service record:
Robert had the Warrant number of 10955. The list appears to be in alphabetical order. I can find no other Robert Butcher joining the Met police around this time.
I believe that they may well be the same person, this N225, and N37:
I looked in the Newspapers also, on The British Newspaper Archives. And I can find no reference in the papers to a Robert Butcher N37, before 1840. And there is no mention of a Robert Butcher N225 after 1840 either, that I can see.
But I also do not know if the same person can change numbers.

Thank you.  :) ;)