Author Topic: Whiteheads at Diss Norfolk  (Read 774 times)

Offline Kiwicol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whiteheads at Diss Norfolk
« on: Sunday 02 July 17 05:38 BST (UK) »
After 30 Years found the parents of James Whitehead.
George Whitehead was a baker who died at 56 Brick Lane Spitalfields before 2nd Jan 1837 Will proved 2 May 1837 names son James of 26 Minories executor, but doesn't name other children just equal shares to surviving children. Hoping his widow Frances gives more information in her 1858 will.
Frances was on the 1851 census with her daughter Eliza Brown. and gives her birth place as Diss in Norfolk age is consistant with 1791. Not knowing her surname, I looked for any Whiteheads in Diss, and found a Likely George born there in 1785, looks to be a second generation Whitehead, son of William Whitehead a tailor, who is also it would seem be the son of William Whitehead a tailor.
An earlier George whitehead from Diss son of William Whitehead a tailor was apprenticed in London in 1778.
Have tried in vain to find a marriage to any George Whitehead and Frances anywhere, she may be a Hinsby (var.) his brother Samuel seems to have married a Hinsby (var.) and was having daughtes with varients of that as a middle name. a possible Hannah exists but not Ann, and no marriage. There was a Frances Hinsby (var.) 1791 and a few other Frances around that date.
The few baptisms I have found for Frances and George Whitehead are up to 10 years after the births, and one is after George died.
Frances took over as a baker at 56 Brick Lane.
Any suggestions
Copying to London site also
Thanks Colin

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Whiteheads at Diss Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 July 17 09:39 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the following on Free Reg?

Frances Hensby, born 12 Jan, baptised 23 Jan 1791. St Mary, Diss. Daughter of Isaac Hensby and Mary Frost.. Pauper, private baptism.

Offline Kiwicol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 July 17 02:08 BST (UK) »
She is the one I am thinking may be George Whitehead's wife, but cant find any marriage for them, and they had gaps of 10 or more years between births and baptisms, there were a couple of other Frances in Diss either side of 1791.
Thanks for that Colin

Offline Kiwicol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 03:17 BST (UK) »
She also may have died in 1817, the age on index is out a few years.
Another is indexed as Frances Prior, natural daughter of Sarah ...ary?
Couldnt even make out that much when I looked at the page on ancestry