Author Topic: Frederick Holt  (Read 1514 times)

Offline corinthian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick Holt
« on: Sunday 02 July 17 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to trace Frederick Holt, born 1836, in Blackfriars, London to Alfred & Mary Holt (nee Fearn). He was baptised 06/05/1838 in Hertfordshire. He married Clara Skinner in Cambridgeshire in 1860 & they went on to have a son, William Frederick Holt, whose birth was registered Q3 1875 in Holborn, London district. I have managed to trace the couple in the 1871 census but by 1881 Clara is living with a John Fry & has adopted the surname Fry. She continued to use the surname Fry until her death in Sussex, in 1923, aged 85. John Fry died on 22/06/1893 and Clara is named in his National Probate Record as 'Clara Holt, spinster'.

I have been unable to trace any details for Frederick after the 1871 census or their son William Frederick after the registration of his birth.

Can anyone help to track down Frederick and/or William Frederick Holt?

Regards

Coreen     

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Holt
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, do you have William Fredericks birth certificate and if so what is his date of birth. There's a fellow on the 1939 register born 1875 who may be your man!

John

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi I see from the 1871 census that Frederick was a Bankers Clerk, there is this possible in 1881?

F H 45 Patient occ Bankers Clerk in St Lukes Hospital for Lunatics, Old Street, City Road, Holborn
Census Ref RG11/364/87/3
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 21:06 BST (UK) »
Just to rule out one possibility for Wiliam Frederick - there's a William Holt of the right age who settles in the Holborn area (Theobalds Rd) as a corn merchant with a wife "Mabel".

However their marriage details show that they are William C Holt and Alexandra M G Nicholls, so apparently not a match.

Is William Frederick known definitely to be the son of Frederick and Clara, or could he be a child of another Holt/Skinner couple?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline corinthian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 05:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

avm28 - this is definitely not the William Charles Holt who married Alexandra Nicholls - I did have a look at him and have eliminated him from my enquiries! I am pretty certain William Frederick is a child of Frederick & Clara. I traced his birth via the GRO index which gives the maiden name of his mother. I did think that he was born quite a while after his parent's marriage. However I could not trace another Holt/Skinner marriage that he could belong to nor could I trace any other children, born in the correct area, with Holt/Skinner parents. I think I may need to order his birth cert to confirm this.

keyboard 86 - I think the F H, aged 45, Patient, occ Bankers Clerk in St Lukes Hospital for Lunatics could definitely be the correct person - a great spot and thank you. If he is the correct person I wonder what happened to him after 1881?

John - I do not have William's birth cert yet but think, as above, that I probably need to order it to confirm his details. What area was the William Frederick Holt, that you found in the 1939 register, living in?   

I will now order the birth certificate for William Frederick Holt and let you know the results in a few days.

Regards

Coreen
Thanks for all the help - it's much appreciated. 

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 19:23 BST (UK) »
The William F Holt who may be a possibility is based in Kempston u d, Bedfordshire born 1875 re 1939 register.

John

Offline corinthian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Thanks for that. Have ordered birth cert, will let you know the date of birth of William Frederick Holt as soon as I receive it.

Regards

Coreen   

Offline corinthian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 July 17 06:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just to let anyone know who was helping me on this. I've just received the B/C for William Frederick Holt & his parents were Thomas & Phoebe Holt, (formerly Skinner), so he has no connection with my Frederick & Clara Holt. Just one of many wild goose chases I've been on!   It doesn't look as if Frederick & Clara had any children.

Regards

Coreen

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 July 17 15:10 BST (UK) »
Coreen, sorry to hear about the details not being as hoped for. Been there on lots of occasions. As a matter of interest you say in your opening post that Clara died aged 85 in Sussex. Are you sure of this fact as I can find no gro record of her death in that year either Fry or Holt.

John