Author Topic: Nurse/midwife help  (Read 1773 times)

Offline parf

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nurse/midwife help
« on: Sunday 02 July 17 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hello I am trying to find out more about two pictures I have of my Great Grandmother, Mary Ann Thomas from Pencoed, Glamorgan.  I was told she was a Midwife in the Bridgend area of Glamorgan.  She has always looked like a nun to me in the picture but she was a Midwife. 

The first picture (the nun) is stamped on the back with the date 31st Oct 1929 & is addressed to my Grandad Thomas John Thomas in Pencoed nr Bridgend.  Mary Ann died in 1933 aged 78yrs old.

The second picture of Mary Ann  is not dated but looks younger &  looks more like a nurses uniform

Could anyone help date the second picture please
Thank you
Jan

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Nurse/midwife help
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 July 17 21:31 BST (UK) »
Clean up for Mary...

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 July 17 22:07 BST (UK) »
I wonder if she was a midwife like those in the T.V series "Call the Midwife"The ones who were nuns?
Was she married do you know?Viktoria.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 July 17 01:19 BST (UK) »
Nicely cleaned up, Handypandy.

No expert, but I think the nurse's uniform would be from the 1910s - similar to 1900s uniforms but without the exaggerated shoulders. To me she looks late 50s to early 60s, so say first half of the decade.

Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 July 17 08:42 BST (UK) »
Just looked at a larger image and she does have a wedding ring and  an engagement ring so not a nun.( They do have a wedding ring as it is considered they are married to Christ  but there would
not be an engagement ring.)
In the first photograph she wears a strange hat- looks like velvet with streamers down the back.
Could she be in a costume perhaps, the hat reminds me of those Mary Queen of scots is depicted as wearing.
The apron and cuffs though are typical of nurses` uniforms.You have started a mystery!
                                                                      Viktoria..

Offline parf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 July 17 15:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help, yes she was married and had ten children, so not a nun !!

She is a bit of a puzzle, says she is a nurse on 1911 census. Would have liked to find out a bit more about her nursing career such as where she worked etc.

Thanks again

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 July 17 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi...You might want to contact Sue here, she may be able to help:

http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 02:18 BST (UK) »
She may have become a nun late in life.
Cowban

Offline ymfoster

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 06:07 BST (UK) »
My effort,  :)

Yvonne
Restorers may use my restores to colour, acknowledgement appreciated.

Mostly England - <br />Walne Nfk - Argent Barritt Hammond Sfk - Asprey Comber Cribb Gundrey Higgs Plaw Sewell Sumption Sry - Baldwin Bull Nth -  Brumfield Dufty London Wor -  Calverley Greenhalgh Lan - Dodson Stainsby NRY - Denison WRY - Whittle Yks - Dormer Mdx - Felmingham Eng - Grecian Nbl -  Hayse Mass US - Jenner Ounstead Weeding Ssx - McDonald Skye - Campbell McIndoe McMillan Inv - Window Gls