Author Topic: Royal Navy service records 1860's-1880's  (Read 397 times)

Offline AncestryPete

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Navy service records 1860's-1880's
« on: Sunday 02 July 17 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have both Ancestry and Find My Past but I cant find 2 naval ratings service records on either website.  Do they have big gaps on what they have scanned ?
thanks for any help Pete

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Navy service records 1860's-1880's
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 July 17 19:12 BST (UK) »
The records that Ancestry and FindMyPast say they have are from the same ADM series as the National Archives guide lists as the sources for RN seamen of that time,  They don't acknowledge any gaps.

Have you tried your luck in the Kew records http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/royal-navy-ratings-service-records-1853-1928/

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline AncestryPete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Navy service records 1860's-1880's
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 July 17 09:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Max, yes that's how I knew that records existed, they are at the National Archives in London but don't seem to have been scanned by Ancestry or FindMyPast as far as I can see. I am interested to know the scope of what is available on these two sites because I had the impression that they had copied the lot although I am far from an expert on using either site. There seems to be a fair gap ?? thanks Pete