Author Topic: Could Jane Moffat actually be Helen Muffert? Kinneff/Fordoun/Benholm  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Got a bit of a puzzling situation here.

I began searching a new branch tonight. My 3x great-grandmother is Jane Mitchell b. abt 1800. Jane married a George Hosie in 1828, Kinneff.

I have them in 3 censuses.
In 1841 they are at Wattieston, Fordoun. 
In 1851 they are at Mains Mondynes, Fordoun. Here it states Kinneff as her place of birth.
in 1861 they are at still at the above.  Here it states Benholm as her place of birth.

Jane Mitchell dies in 1866 aged 66 at Mains of Mondynes, Fordoun. I have her death cert. I will include an image of the parents named in this death cert below. The informant is her husband George Hosie.

It states her father to be a William Mitchell and her mother is what looks like Jane Moffat.

With this information I search SP for her birth/baptism record. I can only find the following;

MITCHELL
JEAN
WILLIAM MITCHELL/HELEN MUFFERT
23/06/1799
253/
20 171
Benholm

This same couple have a number of other children. Most of them in Kinneff and Catterline, one in Garvock and Jean/Jane in Benholm. The child indexed in Garvock is named Sarah b.1795, the mother's name is noted as 'Muckhart' here.

Found the following marriage;

MITCHELL
WILLIAM
HELEN MUFFART/
29/04/1792
250/
30 149
Arbuthnott

So given all of the above is my 'Jane Moffat' actually Helen Muffert/Muckhart  ??? ???

I have been unable to find anything else that fits.

mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Could Jane Moffat actually be Helen Muffert? Kinneff/Fordoun/Benholm
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 July 17 15:07 BST (UK) »
Interesting to note that a couple of entries before yours in this Forum is a comment on the disappearing surnames, one of which is Muffert.  Could be that your Jane Moffatt is just what it says on the label...Jane Moffatt.  William Mitchell is an extremely common name in Kincardineshire - says one who has one in their tree! - so there could be one of each married to the two ladies concerned.
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Could Jane Moffat actually be Helen Muffert? Kinneff/Fordoun/Benholm
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 July 17 18:23 BST (UK) »
Interesting to note that a couple of entries before yours in this Forum is a comment on the disappearing surnames, one of which is Muffert.  Could be that your Jane Moffatt is just what it says on the label...Jane Moffatt.  William Mitchell is an extremely common name in Kincardineshire - says one who has one in their tree! - so there could be one of each married to the two ladies concerned.

You are probably correct here. It seems like they didn't bother with baptisms or the records are gone sadly though.

I did notice that other topic with the 'Muffert' name prior to me finding this info out, so was quite interested.

I know what you mean about Mitchells in Kincardineshire. I have to admit when I saw the name 'William Mitchell' I did a massive roll of the eyes and groaned a little.  ::) ;D

Poor Wullie Mitchell.

Jill
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie