Author Topic: Translation Romanian Baptism  (Read 1125 times)

Offline vruffin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Translation Romanian Baptism
« on: Monday 03 July 17 20:37 BST (UK) »
I have been able to make out the left side of this page, and it seems to be a baptism of Peter born to unmarried hajadon  Janka Sbogar April 27 1899.   She married  Luka Torba July 1899 (I have that marriage license).    The same name on the baptism is also on their marriage: Vancoojak, Daniel.  I would like to know what the "note" says on the right hand side. I can see the name Torba, 1899 julius but would like to know the rest. 

Thank you for any help.

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/5412/44082_anina%5E19%5E1888-00318/303603716?backurl=https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/4773458/person/380103536800/facts/citation/1060285190769/edit/record
Site where I took this.

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Translation Romanian Baptism
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 00:09 BST (UK) »
Pretty sure the language is Hungarian. There are several names in the columns but without column headings it would be hard to work out.  The middle column seems to say Schmidt Miklos and a word after, could be the name of the priest?? 
As you say you have the name Torba Lukács and the date 1899 julius ?9 but need some knowledge of Mágyar to get more.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 00:17 BST (UK) »
Vruffin, only those with a subscription to Ancestry can look at that baptism on Ancestry. If you can write down or perpaps take a snip of the headings to thise columns it might help.  :)

Have you tried typing the words out letter by letter an putting them into an online translator?

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 01:15 BST (UK) »
I found some of the words in Wiktionary,
munkás .. labourer
mint a gyermek apja .. something like .. as the child's father
jelentkezett .. registered/applied to register?
Then the handwriting changes and it's impossible to make out the words without knowing the language.
Can't make out the word after Miklós, or what the name Glavzer refers to.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.

Offline vruffin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 11:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for helping me.  I'll post the headings, and enlarged "note" ....   I have used the translate feature, but am having trouble with deciphering the words.

Offline vruffin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 11:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for working on this with me.
Romania, Vital Records from Selected Regions, 1607-1914 for Janka Sbogar
Caras-Severin
Anina
romano-catolici (römisch-katholisch)
1888 - 1901
I'm having trouble figuring out Romania in comparison to Hungary.  I'm sure this is on the Internet, but just can't seem to locate the geography enough to make sense.

Additionally, here's the heading on the baptism and an enlargement of the 'note'.   I'm concluding that  the marriage took place in July and that note was made by the Priest at a later date.

The family seemed to think that these grandparents spoke Polish, but I wonder if it wasn't Hungarian.  Although the father, Lukcas seems to have been born in Austria. 

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 18:21 BST (UK) »
Romania vs. Hungaria (and/or Austria) is not a matter of geography but history: most of that part of Europe was in the Austrian-Hungarian empire pre WWI.  Nowhere near Poland though, and none of the names sound at all Polish to me.
The town you've named in the record description
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anina
and the county (article has some history)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cara%C8%99-Severin_County

Just found this, you may be able to guess the words added later, but better to find someone who can read Hungarian!
https://training.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Hungary_Genealogical_Word_List

Offline vruffin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 20:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for these very helpful links.   I continue to find some other records in this Romanian collection, and have a better grasp of the political scene as well.   This seems to have been a time of migration, and USA during that time did have lots of Hungarian immigrants.    Interestingly in 1910 USA census  the husband, Lukac stated that his language was Polish.   He also stated his birthplace was Goritia, Austria.   In some other records I discovered that his wife's father, came from this same area -- settling in Anina.   It is intriguing!    So grateful for your taking the time to help me out!!

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 July 17 00:03 BST (UK) »
By coincidence I have been to Gorizia, one half is now in Italy and the other, newer half (Nova Gorica) in Slovenia with the border on the edge of the old town.  All of course was in Austria- Hungary but two more countries to add to your list.  Unless your Goritia is a different place!