Author Topic: Does anyone recognise the people in this photograph?  (Read 4782 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
Does anyone recognise the people in this photograph?
« on: Tuesday 04 July 17 05:37 BST (UK) »
I know it is a long shot but I have exhausted all other avenues. The attached photograph I thought  was my mothers parents wedding photograph, but when I was given photos of my mothers side of the family I realised that was not the case. So I turned to my fathers side as we have no photographs of my Grandparents on that side. I posted on RootsChat last year this photo to be dated as my fathers parents married in 1911. However a couple of people replied stating that it was a late 1930's/40's wedding all agreeing that the brides dress was of that period and the large bouquets padded out with a lot of fern/assorted greenery were also very fashionable at that time. My fathers father did remarry in the 1940's, however he was 60+ at the time and he certainly is not of that age. There is no writing on the back of the photo. My mothers family (Bullough/Wood/Crompton) came from Lancashire (Manchester/Bolton area) and my fathers family from South Shields/Gateshead, Co.Durham. My last thought is that it is a friend of theirs marriage as my mother had a habit of cutting people out of photos if she didn't know them!!
If anyone has any idea of who these mysterious people are I would be so grateful as I just want to put names to faces.
Thanking you, Paul Thompson
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone recognise the people in this photograph?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hi there Paul,
sorry - I don't actually have anything to add to your search - apart from the fact that it is such a lovely photo - and to suggest that though the groom doesn't look like 60'ish - he certainly isn't young - and neither is the bride.  But what a happy couple they are!  Good luck with your search!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there Paul,
sorry - I don't actually have anything to add to your search - apart from the fact that it is such a lovely photo - and to suggest that though the groom doesn't look like 60'ish - he certainly isn't young - and neither is the bride.  But what a happy couple they are!  Good luck with your search!
Hi Maggbill, Thanks for that, my mother was born in 1908 so would have been in her 30's when this wedding took place. I am thinking more towards a friend of hers, but who!!!!!
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul

Do you have other photos of the same event that have not been snipped?

Maybe, as a 1st step, someone could identify the location from a bigger picture.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 19:21 BST (UK) »
The type of collar the groom is wearing was way out of fashion in the 1940`s, his gloves and what appear to be spats make me think of 1930`s at the latest.
Dress style and large bouquet are so like my cousin`s wedding in the 30`s.She was an adult when I was just a very little girl.
 Lovely photo , such happiness.      Viktoria.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 11:21 BST (UK) »
My father wore a very similar outfit, down to the spats at his wedding in 1931.  My mother also had a rather overlarge bouquet.  This couple don't look very young, though I've found that people looked much older in old photographs when compared to present day people.  I would put them at early 30s, or perhaps even a little older.  Still, they certainly look happy.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul

Do you have other photos of the same event that have not been snipped?

Maybe, as a 1st step, someone could identify the location from a bigger picture.
Hi Dawn, unfortunately that's all I have, the one photo. Trust my mother to cut off the rest!!
Thanks, Paul

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 13:16 BST (UK) »
The type of collar the groom is wearing was way out of fashion in the 1940`s, his gloves and what appear to be spats make me think of 1930`s at the latest.
Dress style and large bouquet are so like my cousin`s wedding in the 30`s.She was an adult when I was just a very little girl.
 Lovely photo , such happiness.      Viktoria.
Thanks Viktoria, it looks as though it's coming down to a 30's wedding at the moment. Yes they look very happy, mind you they should do on their wedding day!!!!! If only they could tell me who they were!! Thanks, Paul

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 13:19 BST (UK) »
My father wore a very similar outfit, down to the spats at his wedding in 1931.  My mother also had a rather overlarge bouquet.  This couple don't look very young, though I've found that people looked much older in old photographs when compared to present day people.  I would put them at early 30s, or perhaps even a little older.  Still, they certainly look happy.
Hi Gill, thanks for the information, looks like a 30's wedding at the moment. Yes I would say that they were in their 30's, she looks older than he does, she could be close to 40, hard to say. If only they could talk!!! Thanks, Paul