Author Topic: Does anyone recognise the people in this photograph?  (Read 4779 times)

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone recognise the people in this photograph?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 20 July 17 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

Similar to you I have a photo of an unnamed couple, however I do know the nickname of the woman, approx when she was married and approx how old she was when she was married. She was   a friend of my mothers. I've attached the photo so you can compare.  People aren't always the age you guess at.  The couple in the picture I've attached were married between 1943 and 1946 and were in their mid to late twenties, although they look much older.  The veil she is wearing is similar to your brides, but the dress is satin.  The man doesn't have the same type of shirt, but is carrying gloves.  I have a wedding photo of an aunt married in 1942 who is wearing a similar dress to your bride.  I think the photo is from the war years and that the couple are in their 20's.

J
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suekilp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 21 July 17 02:32 BST (UK) »
Its also a lovely photo, but your bride looks a lot younger than the original posted photo. I agree they look older than mid - twenties, I'd have put your bride at late twenties/early thirties. However, she has no crow's feet, and her face is still plump and not as weathered. As far as the costume of the original bride goes, I married for the second time at age 47 and I had a full length ivory (not white lol) dress, with a lace bolero, so not all older brides opt for something restrained. (OK, I'm a show-off :)

Offline Suekilp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 21 July 17 03:15 BST (UK) »
Edit- I'd have put them both at mid-twenties/early thirties. Part of my assumption of an older age might be the bloke's weight, which is heavy for a young man.

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 21 July 17 03:36 BST (UK) »
  My mother was also born in 1908 so would have been 21 when she married Dad in 1929.   He was born in 1903.

If bonnets were more of a feature in the 1920's then your photo, Paul, would I think have been well into the 1930's or later.   But then the spats and especially the stiff collar with turned up edges.    When did they drop out of fashion?

The photo has been cut - note the curving in edge top right and that must mean that your mother didn't know the people on the missing part of the photo very well.    So the couple could be some very good friends, possibly from work.   Did she talk about old friends at all?    Do you know where either Mum or Dad worked, say during the war?    If so then try looking for a forum where people want to share memories of an old work place and the friends they worked with.   Even perhaps a South Shields forum could do the trick.   

I have solved the odd mystery on the Consett & District Heritage page on Facebook _ https://www.facebook.com/groups/213017885386150/     For example I have a photo of my Mam standing outside a Butcher's shop in Consett alongside the Butcher and another lady.  When I posted that on the Consett Forum somebody replied within moments saying that the Butcher was his granddad, so I was not only able to add a name to an unknown on the photo but discovered where she worked in the 1920's.

Same with friends I knew in Aden in the RAF in 1952.   Several of my photos have been identified through a facebook page on Aden and one member who is still around is standing quite close to me in a photo.

In any case it is nice to catch up with the English we once used.   I just had a look at the Consett page and someone has just posted a weather report - "It's stotting down, it'll be clarty the morra".

Good Luck - I think you will strike lucky before too long,  Cheers Malcolm
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 23 July 17 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

Similar to you I have a photo of an unnamed couple, however I do know the nickname of the woman, approx when she was married and approx how old she was when she was married. She was   a friend of my mothers. I've attached the photo so you can compare.  People aren't always the age you guess at.  The couple in the picture I've attached were married between 1943 and 1946 and were in their mid to late twenties, although they look much older.  The veil she is wearing is similar to your brides, but the dress is satin.  The man doesn't have the same type of shirt, but is carrying gloves.  I have a wedding photo of an aunt married in 1942 who is wearing a similar dress to your bride.  I think the photo is from the war years and that the couple are in their 20's.

J
Many thanks for your thoughts and also the photograph, yes the couple certainly look much older than in their 20's, especially the male, you never can tell. I seem to be getting a date range of early 30's to early 40's and ages from late 20's to early 40's. Phew!!!!! Thanks, Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 23 July 17 04:31 BST (UK) »
  My mother was also born in 1908 so would have been 21 when she married Dad in 1929.   He was born in 1903.

If bonnets were more of a feature in the 1920's then your photo, Paul, would I think have been well into the 1930's or later.   But then the spats and especially the stiff collar with turned up edges.    When did they drop out of fashion?

The photo has been cut - note the curving in edge top right and that must mean that your mother didn't know the people on the missing part of the photo very well.    So the couple could be some very good friends, possibly from work.   Did she talk about old friends at all?    Do you know where either Mum or Dad worked, say during the war?    If so then try looking for a forum where people want to share memories of an old work place and the friends they worked with.   Even perhaps a South Shields forum could do the trick.   

I have solved the odd mystery on the Consett & District Heritage page on Facebook _ https://www.facebook.com/groups/213017885386150/     For example I have a photo of my Mam standing outside a Butcher's shop in Consett alongside the Butcher and another lady.  When I posted that on the Consett Forum somebody replied within moments saying that the Butcher was his granddad, so I was not only able to add a name to an unknown on the photo but discovered where she worked in the 1920's.

Same with friends I knew in Aden in the RAF in 1952.   Several of my photos have been identified through a facebook page on Aden and one member who is still around is standing quite close to me in a photo.

In any case it is nice to catch up with the English we once used.   I just had a look at the Consett page and someone has just posted a weather report - "It's stotting down, it'll be clarty the morra".

Good Luck - I think you will strike lucky before too long,  Cheers Malcolm
Hi Malcolm, many thanks for your response, judging my the replies it seems to be a late 30's to early 40's wedding. When did spats go out of fashion? Good question, I may put it onto the forum and see what replies I get (very informative lot are the Rootschatters). Also the width of the trouser legs, different era's different widths. Mind you a northern wedding, " Divn't wurry aboot it not being fashion you'll still look canny in it"
Yes my mother was a good un for cutting people off photos if she didn't know them. My father was in the RAF during the war, married in late 39 and my mother lived with her father in Manchester (where she was from) during the war years before heading to N'cle to live. I know she worked in an accounts department before marriage, not sure when she stopped but my elder brother was born in 42. Yes quite possible a workmate, friend, but not a relative as far as I can see. Thats why I posted it on Rootschat, you just never know, as you said you will strike lucky, I hope so.
You know what it's like you never ask questions when you are young but my mother only went to Manchester to visit her brother (and with me when I was young) so she seems to have severed any ties with friends there. Up in N'cle it was just rellies that they seemed to visit although one or two other friends very occasionally, but I have no memories of them.
I don't know if you have visited Consett recently but you wouldn't recognise the place. I passed through a couple of times with my brother last year, I say passed through it's all ring roads so you don't go through the town but all the iron and steel works have totally gone, green fields now. No longer do you hear the sound of two 9F's (steam engines) fighting their way up the inclines fully laden with iron ore for the furnaces ( sorry my brother is a steam engine fanatic he is a founding member of the Tanfield railway formed over 40 years ago).
Once again thanks for your help, I hope the Melbourne weather is good, here in Perth it has been raining for the past week. We've both escaped and live in the land of sunshine (well most of the time). Thanks, Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 23 July 17 05:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcolm, many thanks for your response, I don't know if you have visited Consett recently but you wouldn't recognise the place. I passed through a couple of times with my brother last year, I say passed through it's all ring roads so you don't go through the town but all the iron and steel works have totally gone, green fields now. No longer do you hear the sound of two 9F's (steam engines) fighting their way up the inclines fully laden with iron ore for the furnaces ( sorry my brother is a steam engine fanatic he is a founding member of the Tanfield railway formed over 40 years ago).
Once again thanks for your help, I hope the Melbourne weather is good, here in Perth it has been raining for the past week. We've both escaped and live in the land of sunshine (well most of the time). Thanks, Paul

Unfortunately not and my last trip to Consett was in March 1991 when I took my late wife Ede back for a trip.  Though she was born in Melbourne, Ede's first husband was a Scottish Sea Captain who drank himself to death.   They married and lived in Paisley for 7 years so naturally Ede wanted to see Paisley again and we stayed with some of her friends in Kilbarchan until my late cousin Kenneth Heath had managed to clear a hole in the deep snow, to park our hire car outside his front garden in Consett.    I saw many changes then but I still cherish my memories of all the tank engines shunting up and down rail lines by the 'Warks'.

My cousin Audrey Thompson nee Draffan is still in Delves Lane so I get the odd bit of news from her too.

Talking of close family friends ours were 'Uncle Frank' Thompson and Auntie Dolly.  He was from Walney Island and she from Barry Island.   They shared a rented cottage in Hunstanton with my Mam and Dad in the depression years and remained life long friends.

My cousin Jean Vickers - Audrey Thompson's sister - lives close to Perth, but we are just about the last of our generation.

Nice chatting, bye for now,  Malcolm
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett