Author Topic: Thomas Chambers and Martha Wood  (Read 951 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thomas Chambers and Martha Wood
« on: Tuesday 04 July 17 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm hoping someone can help me clarify some details regarding the marriage of Thomas Chambers of Seasalter and Martha Wood of Whitstable.

The marriage seems to be listed 2 times on FindMyPast with different dates and locations.

Firstly there is an entry stating the marriage took place at Seasalter (St Alphege) on 24 January 1740.

However there are also two entries which say it took place at Rochester (St Margaret) on 24 January 1741 by Licence.

If they were married by licence why is there an entry saying they married in Seasalter the previous year?

I'd be interested to hear any ideas people have on this.

Thanks

Matt

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Chambers and Martha Wood
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 14:07 BST (UK) »
For info ancestry has

24 Jan 1740 St Margaret Rochester Kent

Can't see any other details unfortunately  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 14:09 BST (UK) »
The Kent, Canterbury Archdeaconry Marriages (Seasalter) record shows that they married at the church of St Margaret, Rochester.  The date given on that document states January 24 1740-1741
Don't forget that the year did not start in January in England until 1752.

ADDED
This would indicate that the marriage took place in January 1840 which came after December 1840 in those days. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_(New_Style)_Act_1750
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 00:12 BST (UK) »
For info ancestry has

24 Jan 1740 St Margaret Rochester Kent

Can't see any other details unfortunately  :-\

Thanks for that. I'm still puzzled as the parish register entry apparently says Seasalter (as recorded on FindmyPast). I think I will have to consult the original parish registers of Seasalter and Rochester to resolve this.

Many thanks
Matt

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 05:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

The Seasalter Register says that the marriage took place at St Margaret, Rochester on Saturday January 24-1740-41.  The last is how it is actually written in the Register.  The Rev Mr Soan Curate of the said Church performed the ceremony!

An image of the original St Margaret, Rochester Register can be viewed at the city arc website.

http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/query/results/?Mode=Search&PathList=/Z4a_Medway_Ancestors/

Tony

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 July 17 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

The Seasalter Register says that the marriage took place at St Margaret, Rochester on Saturday January 24-1740-41.  The last is how it is actually written in the Register.  The Rev Mr Soan Curate of the said Church performed the ceremony!

An image of the original St Margaret, Rochester Register can be viewed at the city arc website.

http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/query/results/?Mode=Search&PathList=/Z4a_Medway_Ancestors/

Tony

Hi Tony

Yes I found that info out myself yesterday afternoon after some digging on Ancestry and Findmypast.

However after checking the details on the Chambers that I already have in my tree, I no longer think this Thomas or Margaret are my ancestors!

My ancestor William Chambers married Farley Allen on 29 November 1768 in Faversham.

Thomas Chambers and his first wife Martha Wood had a son named William who was born in 1742 and died a short while later.

Thomas also had a son named William by his second wife Margaret Blackbourne.

This second William was born in 1755, and this is where the problem is. If he had married Farley Allen in 1768 then he would only be 13 and there's no indication that he was this young.

Therefore I've got back to William and I'm going to see if I can find any sign of him in Faversham. Some of his children were christened in non-conformist chapels so I might need to look there as well. I'm also going to see if I can trace Elizabeth Allen (Farley Allen's mother) as well.

However based on the info I discovered today it does look as if the Chambers in Seasalter and Rochester are not connected to my Faversham lot.

Matt