Author Topic: Two or one Christopher McCleans?  (Read 567 times)

Offline iem

• RootsChat Member
  • Magrath-Crowe & Magrath-McClean family of Dublin
    • View Profile
Two or one Christopher McCleans?
« on: Tuesday 04 July 17 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Is anyone able to help me clarify the facts of 2 Christopher McCleans, who could or could not be the same person?  Better knowledge  than mine of e.g. Irish baronies or Army locations could be a help.  My interest is in Chrstr McClean 1.

Christopher McClean 1 (1803 Armagh - ?)
-   definitely the son of Christr Wm McClean, Lucan blacksmith who was admitted to the Ancient Freedom of Dublin 1802 on the basis of service
-   Listed as a Gunsmith  in Lucan, Dublin at no 146 in Appdx to Report from the Select Committee on Fictitious Votes 1837-8. (Appears by birth/right of father)
-   Probably the same Chrstr McClean recruited  as a Drummer to the Army 1823 at Lucan  till 1835 (FindMyPast Br Army Records)

Christopher McClean 2
-   1804-1878 Newry
-   father of another Chrstr McClean – blacksmith, implement maker – who married Ellen McBride in Loughbrickland and …. Had another Chrstr McClean, blacksmith, implement maker

I guess the Lucan CMcC 1. would have moved around with the Army, so could have settled around Newry/Loughbrickland.  Griffiths has a CMcC at Donaghmore, but I haven't found out where that was.  CMcC 1's father Chrstr Wm was beaten up in the company of a 'Lord Donaghmore's coachman' in 1837 (straw grasping, straw grasping), but I haven't been able to find a Lord Donaghmore either.

ANY advice would be appreciated.
Magrath, Dublin & Lucan & Cavan
Carruthers/Crothers, Dublin
Crowe, Dublin
McClean, Dublin, Lucan, Armagh & Newry
Sharp, Wilburton & Cambridge,
Laffon - Castres en Tarn, Bordeaux, Amsterdam, Dublin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Two or one Christopher McCleans?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 19:22 BST (UK) »
Griffiths has a CMcC at Donaghmore, but I haven't found out where that was.
Putting in Christopher McClean in Griffith's only brings up one (as a landlord) in Maryborough, Queen's Co.-
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/
Using the Place Name search brings up numerous ones called Donaghmore.

Christopher McCLEAN. Donaghmore are. paid 3 shillings as a smith in the building of Glenn Parochial House 28 Apr 1849 & 5/3 on 14 Jul 1849 & 4/6 for an iron kitchen & crane 7 Sep 1849.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/Mc/McClean+.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!