Author Topic: Ravenscraig, Millport, when did it cease as a B and B or hotel?  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Ravenscraig, Millport, when did it cease as a B and B or hotel?
« on: Tuesday 04 July 17 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Everyone,
This might appear to be a strange request for help, but it does involve a bit of my family's history, and also the history of my own younger life...
So, in Spring 1963 and 1964 I went with a school party to Millport on Great Cumbrae to study at the Marine Biology Station there.  There were 25 pupils in our party each time, and we stayed at a B and B or hotel called Ravenscraig.
I have since discovered that my gt-grandma Alice GURNER also stayed there on holiday from London from at least Edwardian times until at least 1939, when she stayed there for a couple of months - there was a War on, of course, and she was also trying to come to terms with the tragic loss of her son in May of that year.
When googling now, thinking it might be nice to stay at Ravenscraig to  relive old memories, I can find no trace of the place in the accommodation available on the island.
Could anyone therefore tell me whether Ravenscraig closed, or was demolished for development, and indeed when these events might have taken place.
Many thanks,
Keith

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ravenscraig, Millport, when did it cease as a B and B or hotel?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 23:45 BST (UK) »
Might be worth an enquiry to Largs and Millport Weekly News. There's an online edition. Or to The Museum of the Cumbraes.
Ayrshire Federation of Historical Societies is holding its' annual conference in Millport in September. All talks will be related to Millport and the Cumbraes. One is "Millport for the Holidays".
Cowban

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 10:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that interesting and very useful response, MaidenStone!
Keith

Offline craigjepson

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 April 21 21:34 BST (UK) »
Ravenscraig is still there - I'm sat about 2 minutes walk from it. It is the last house going out of Millport before you get to the Marine Station. I've been coming to Millport for over 50 years and I remember seeing groups of students there in the 70s. In my lifetime I think it has always been associated with the Marine Station but I guess it might have been privately owned at some point. The Marine station is now called the Field Studies Council https://www.field-studies-council.org/locations/millport/ 
It doesn't mention it on their web site but I saw a posting from them on a Millport accommodation page saying your could rent Ravenscraig for self catering and it had 2 x 1 bedroom flats available. I've attached a photo of what it looked like on google streetview in 2009 and it hasn't changed much since

Craig

copyright image removed