Author Topic: Barbara Stevenson McKerrow??  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Irish Searcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barbara Stevenson McKerrow??
« on: Wednesday 05 July 17 00:22 BST (UK) »
I think this photo is of my GG Grandmother.  She was born in 1840 and lived in England in the late 1860's and then again after 1875.  The photo was taken in Bradford, England.  Anyone have any idea by her hairstyle and clothing what year this may of been taken?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Barbara Stevenson McKerrow??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat...I would say 1870s...lovely photo. Who was the photographer. Jim will be along soon to give a more accurate date.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 12:12 BST (UK) »
Welcome from me too, Irish Searcher.

No expert, just been googling around and the hair style and dress are very similar to those on some sites that mention American Civil War era of fashions, i.e., mid to late 1860s. I think she looks in her early to mid 20s.

As Carol said, more expert people will be along.

Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 12:22 BST (UK) »
Yes the mount arrangement is at odds with the photo so could be a reprint of an earlier photo...it's the sleeve style which makes me think it's earlier.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 12:28 BST (UK) »
One of those with a mix of decades.
Her hair & bodice style are typical late 1860's, however it's quite unusual to see a close up in an oval frame at this time. It also has the look of a memorial photo but might be off base on that one.
So I would suggest late 1860's to possibly early 1870's.
There's also a possibility it's a reprint taken after her death.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Irish Searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 12:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your input.  Barbara died in 1909 and her granddaughter ( my grandmother) left England about 1914 so they may of had a picture done up to bring with them. 
In answer to Carol's question the photographer on the frame says either Cles or Gles 72 Barkerend Rd. Bradford.  Karen

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 13:05 BST (UK) »
I hope you don't mind Karen but I gave her a new look.
Carol

Offline Irish Searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 13:17 BST (UK) »
Carol, she looks beautiful!!!   Karen

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 13:21 BST (UK) »
Yes... she was a stunning lady wasn't she!
Carol