Author Topic: newspapers  (Read 4158 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: newspapers
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 14:06 BST (UK) »
I've found death notices of some of my ancestors in 19thC regional newspapers. Mostly they are simply lists of names, with age, address + sometimes parents or spouse for each. There's more information if death was accidental or the person was better-off or locally well-known. Accidental death of a young man in Lancashire, son of a well-known businessman, was reported in a newspaper for the neighbouring county of  Westmorland. 
Cowban

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 14:38 BST (UK) »
Very true Maiden Stone. The newspapers also seemed to relish recounting tragic or particularly gory deaths in great detail.

Offline Tracey Joy Kelly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great Great Grandmother Ellen Jane Wheatley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 15:07 BST (UK) »
hi ruskie  yes that is the Alfred that I am talking about and thank you for the link I will check it out now
Barham/Burram, Brimson, Parkin, Thomas, Underwood, Waldock, Ward, Wheatley,
I am currently researching these names, if you have any information or think you may be linked, please email me I would love to hear from you!

Offline Tracey Joy Kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 15:09 BST (UK) »
maiden stone 

yes  I think it may have been accidental   in one of the census it mentions that hes a messenger ..I kind of thought that he may of been run over or something
I am currently researching these names, if you have any information or think you may be linked, please email me I would love to hear from you!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 15:11 BST (UK) »
Don't let your imagination run away with you.  ;D Only the death certificate will be able to tell you his cause of death.

Offline Tracey Joy Kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 15:19 BST (UK) »
hahaha yeah I know  which is why I will keep searching.. one say I will put it on the bucket list to buy

thank you for that link.. it was very haunting.. I am actually thanking my ancestors that they moved to Australia lol

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 15:29 BST (UK) »
The houses around Wellclose Square, if they had survived would be worth millions today! They are/were beautiful. There have been some bad decisions and destruction in the area over the decades (and it continues) - quite sad.

Offline Tracey Joy Kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 16:31 BST (UK) »
oh really that is amazing   I will have to tell my family :)

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 23:54 BST (UK) »
I would agree with Ruskie about newspapers and add that the middle class too took out newspaper obituaries.  My family, middle middle class or lower middle class farmers, often had obituaries starting in about the 1840s (or 1860s?).  They were short death notices, some of them.  I found these at the local (county) library in Ireland (not the U.K.).  They were being indexed and the good librarian sent me all by the surname I was interested in.  The Northern Standard was that newspaper.  So I would write the county library and address the letter to the reference librarian there.  It never hurts to send a library the information you already have, they then put that on file for your future relative to find.
Harrison