Author Topic: Victoria: Maddigan/Madigan Family  (Read 2959 times)

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
  • Isabella Waldeck, dau of George and Isabella Brand
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria: Maddigan/Madigan Family
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 08 July 17 06:13 BST (UK) »
I suggest you access the electoral rolls on ancestry.  I don't have time to type them up but here is the first one.

Australian Electoral Roll
MADDIGAN Henry  Denmark  Labourer
MADDIGAN Mary Ellen  Denmark  Housewife
MADDIGAN Michael Snr  Denmark  Labourer
MADDIGAN Michael Jnr  Denmark  Labourer
MADDIGAN Thomas  Denmark  Fireman

Cando

Thanks for that Cando, yes, those are definitely my Maddigans, as they resided in Denmark for a time before moving up to Perth.
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 08 July 17 06:16 BST (UK) »
Have you contacted the Ballarat Genealogy Society for any research on your family who lived at Leamonth, Durham Lead, Burrumbeet and Dean.

Pretty sure this is your man's baptism.  Bear in mind that  many people were illiterate and ages were often inaccurate.

MADAGAN Michael
Father Thomas  Mother Catherine SHEEHY.
Birth Date    1846  Baptism Date    15 Apr 1846
Baptism Place    Kilcolman, Limerick, Ireland
Parish Variants    Coolcappa
Diocese    Limerick

Do you have his death certificate?  Should detail his time in Australia and in which state.

Cando

I will definitely attempt to get a transcription of his death certificate. Right now I'm waiting for one for another family member and it hasn't arrived yet, so I'll wait for that one to arrive before making a decision on who to go through to get it. And thanks for the lead on that website. I have had a look at passenger lists to Victoria and there are quite a few Maddigans, a bit confused at the moment.
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 08 July 17 06:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Gerald Joseph Francis Maddigan enlisted into the 1st AIF in May 1917, Service No 18812, AAMC.

His will was in the hands of his mother, Mrs Catherine Elizabeth Maddigan.

Gerry

Thanks Aussie for that! I didn't know Gerald's mother's middle name was Elizabeth, but it makes sense as her daughter's is Elizabeth too. Also didn't know about Gerald's role in the AIF, I'll have to look closer at that! Maybe the Elizabeth name will give a hint as to Catherine's parentage?
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 08 July 17 06:24 BST (UK) »

In Patrick Maddigan's funeral notice published in the West Australian on Monday 30th March 1914 on page 8 it stated that Patrick was a native of Victoria and he had been in Western Australia for 12 years.

Assuming that Patrick travelled with his parents as a 16 year old this equates to 1902 when they arrived in WA. 

Gerry

Thanks Gerry! I hadn't seen that death notice. It's always helpful to know the dates of the travel!

I also apologise to everyone for not being active recently, I was helping a friend out yesterday but was quite busy as I had barely any time to sit down. I'll be more active from now on, but I am really grateful to everyone for their help.

As a 17yo, it's difficult to obtain certificates if I don't have much money, or I'm not employed  ;D
Genealogy has always been a hobby of mine but it gets tough when it gets to the point where money must be spent to explore further, that's why I'm a bit hesitant to purchase anything.
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)