Author Topic: lasswade 1870-1880  (Read 1089 times)

Offline squatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
lasswade 1870-1880
« on: Wednesday 05 July 17 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hello

does anybody have any resources that identify people working in the papermills around lasswade between 1840 and 1850 other than census returns?

regards

Offline squatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: lasswade 1870-1880
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hello

Does anyone know of any resources for lasswade during the above period, these could be things like rate books, poll books, poor records etc

I am trying to identify when my ancestor arrived there as in 1871 he was in England and in 1881 he was in lasswade, springfield area? His daughter married in England about 1875 but gave birth in Edinburgh in 1876, other daughter was also on the 1881 census working in Edinburgh.

He was John Muir(b1825 Scotland) with wife Susanna Muir (b England)

if so could they be looked up as visiting area is unlikely.

regards

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 16:28 BST (UK) »
National Records of Scotland nrscotland.gov.uk have the following item for one mill:

GD1   Miscellaneous small collections of family, business and other papers   
Repository   National Records of Scotland
Reference   GD1/440
Papers of John Tod and Son, St Leonard's Paper Mill, Lasswade
1816-1923
Archival history   Volumes 1-9 were presented to SRO on 28 July 1966. The box of papers, no. 10, is on temporary deposit only, pending a decision.

Whether it mentions any employees could only be told by reading them...and that would have to be in person in Edinburgh.

There's a local history society who may have some archives
http://bonnyrigglasswadelocalhistory.org/
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline squatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 16:44 BST (UK) »
thanks for that Josey, it might be useful. It is not somewhere I am able to get to.

Is there anybody who frequents this site who goes to the records office in Edinburgh who would be able to review these documents?

regards

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 17:18 BST (UK) »
I think you would have to post a thread for a specific reques - eg 'Look up at NRS please'. Even skimming through 9 volumes would be a big ask. It may just be worth emailing the NRS to ask if they can give you an idea if they contain any employee information.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline squatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 July 17 10:08 BST (UK) »
thanks josey

I have just posted, the request to NRO as suggested, although quite often i have found staff just reply with standard response of "request for searches can be done by ...blah blah and cost ..blah blah and hour" we give no guarantees of finding any "Blah Blah" but you never know.

On the other had someone else reading this topic maybe already researching the same sort of stuff, may have the information at the tip of their fingers.

I know, a long shot but that's where i am upto at the moment stuck at the same point for about 4 years now, waiting for a new bit of transcript to be released that might get us passed this bottle neck :-[

regards