Author Topic: St. Thomas's Stockton - Marriage - Surname Wagener  (Read 1032 times)

Offline MariaY

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St. Thomas's Stockton - Marriage - Surname Wagener
« on: Wednesday 05 July 17 15:51 BST (UK) »
St. Thomas' Church, Stockton
08 Feb 1858
Marriage between Christopher Wagener and Ellen Baker.

I got the details from Find my past and it has the fathers names Frederick Wagener and Harry Baker. What i really need to know is the occupations of the fathers and the Groom.  I'm quite stuck as the Wageners were born in Germany and also the bride.  I have Christopher and Ellen  in 1861 onwards in Sunderland but cant find any trace before this marriage in 1858.  Also the names of the witnesses might help.

Any help appreciated.  Apparently Christopher and his father are relations to Richard Wagner the composer, according to an article in the Sunderland Echo

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St. Thomas's Stockton - Marriage - Surname Wagener
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 16:20 BST (UK) »
The only way to find this out would be from the original register or a marriage certificate. As far as I can tell, the original registers for Stockton aren't online, so unless someone is able to visit the relevant record office for you (in Durham) your best option will be to order a certificate.

To avoid excessive third party charges, make sure you order directly from the GRO or from the local register office. For a marriage it's often preferable to use a local office and to ask if they can supply a certificate with a photocopy of the actual register rather than a transcript - this is the only way to get copies of the original signatures, which are sometimes useful to have.

In this case the register office is in Stockton - see https://www.stockton.gov.uk/stockton-council/births-deaths-marriages-and-civil-partnerships/how-to-obtain-a-certificate/ for details and a link to the search page which gives you the relevant reference number etc.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MariaY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Thanks for the quick reply.  I was trying to avoid paying for a certificate as I have so much info already from the website. Its my son in laws familytree that i am researching as a favour.  I'll try emailing around to see if I can get a photocopy of the register anywhere
Thanks
Maria

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 20:54 BST (UK) »
If you can get to an LDS Family History Centre you can see the image (and get a copy) on their computers
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/697674?availability=Family%20History%20Library

to see if there is a centre near you, look here:

https://familysearch.org/locations/

Boo