Author Topic: Fathers RAF history  (Read 1047 times)

Offline bradbrad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fathers RAF history
« on: Wednesday 05 July 17 15:56 BST (UK) »
Trained as WOP/AG 1941  Passed out at Yatesbury but did not pass gunnery school. Have a big gap from detached duty at Goxhill, (why Goxhill), in June 41 to arriving India May 42. Aware he was at RAF Cheadle, to learn Japanese morse, but was the course that long? Unit in India was 355 Wireless Unit, and 164 Signals unit. No relevant info on RAF Cheadle at National Archives, and ORB for 355 and 164 units do not give much information required, as I believe he was on small units sent into the hills for Japanese radio intercepts, but can find no information on this. Additional information would be most welcome.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fathers RAF history
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 16:01 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Brad.

Have you considered applying for his service record? It should answer all of your questions.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

Offline bradbrad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 21:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Ruskie. Yes I do have his record. Through (internet) detective work I have followed his start from Cardington, Blackpool, Yatesbury, Stormy down. Then there is long gap, (RAF Cheadle), and then the units in India. I have even found which convoy he went out on. ORB's only mention the day to day activities of the unit, and names mentioned are only officers. I'm trying to find out/confirm what he actually did. I know he went to Imphal with 355 WU in April 43, and came back to Ballygrunge, (Calcutta), in Aug 44, but what did he actually do???? I have this vision of him in some shack on the top of a hill in India, with his radio set taking down Japanese morse messages which then get passed to Bletchley. True or not I do not know.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 July 17 09:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry Brad, but can I just confirm that you already have his personal service record (from the MOD) or his unit's war diaries (from the National Archives Kew) .... Or both? I

I can understand your curiosity about what your father did day to day, but unless either he or someone who did a similar job has written a personal diary or a later account (which many did do), then speculating about his day to day activites would only be guessing. Your vision of him in a shack on a hill may not be too far off the mark.  ;)

The gap from June 41 to May 42 I'm not sure would be out of the ordinary. The journey in itself would have taken a while. Although it is difficult to compare service personel's individual experiences, I know from my father in law's personal diary, that he did an awful lot of "waiting around" - waiting to be sent abroad, treking across India, waiting around in various ports and villages ... the list goes on. This gave me the impression that it was not all non stop action for all of them.

Hopefully one of the experts will be able to help you with some facts about your father's duties.

Offline bradbrad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 July 17 12:09 BST (UK) »
Ruskie thanks for the reply again.

Attached his record for you to view. I have and read ORB's and made notes from National Archive files. of additional information, but as mentioned, still do not know what he actually did. I have found some similar personal accounts on line, but again detail is missing. (Still security conscious?). I have bought a book called Tweedales War which arrived yesterday which I hope will give a further insight when I read it.
Convoy dates were 23 Mar 42 from Clyde to Bombay 16 May, and 23 May at Calcutta. I am happy with events prior to June 41. Also there is no record on the internet or NA of 55WU, I believe this is a typo and should read 355WU.

Regards

Brad

Offline bradbrad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 July 17 12:12 BST (UK) »
OOPs didn't realise the attachment would be reproduced so big!!

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 July 17 15:09 BST (UK) »
The postings scan is very helpful

Any chance of adding the mustering section so I can confirm/eliminate something

Ross
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Offline bradbrad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 July 17 16:53 BST (UK) »
Mustering part attached. Hopefully this scan is not as big as the other. Had trouble getting that down to <500Kb, so rescanned this attachment

Brad

Offline bradbrad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 July 17 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hello again.
Have found out quite a bit of info now due to National Archive visits and other sources, but a still no joy for relevant info on RAF Cheadle. One last thing related to his record as posted previously as an attachment. I have found out he was at Delhi in Aug 45, Japan surrendered on 15th Aug. I guess he was in the repatriation process, at Karachi in November, but why Karachi, and what/where is 104 RR & RU as listed under SEAC, (South East Asia Command). Dad said he flew back to UK in B24 Liberator. (From Karachi?). Any info would be helpful.