Author Topic: Bakery - Salzer Family  (Read 1289 times)

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Bakery - Salzer Family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 July 17 12:36 BST (UK) »
What a great photo! So full of story, and… love that dog!

I believe “Invalid Port” was marketed in a similar way as stout: as a tonic for the blood. Personally, it has always had the opposite effect: turns me into an invalid. This was especially the case when I went back home to visit my parents. Dad loved the occasional port. Whenever I visited he would look me in the eye, move his gaze to a “chateau cardboard” sitting on the mantelpiece, we’d surreptitiously nod heads and he’d fill middy glasses (that’s half-pints) with port. He called them “suitcases” - a more practical size, he reckoned.

Slainte! Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline David Posnett

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bakery - Salzer Family
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 July 17 13:57 BST (UK) »
What a lovely restore and story Peter!

The photo is very special to me as I know who most of the people in it are.  The lady in full view is my great aunt Hilda.  The dog is flanked to the left by Martin Jr, and Martin Snr on the right.  The dog was owned by Martin Jr I believe as there are photos of the dog with Martin Jr's wife.  The two men to the right look like brothers, but, if they are part of the Salzer family, I don't think they can be brothers.  I think one of them is William who was born in 1898 and he had no brother close to his age.
Salzer (Germany/Walworth (1900)), Posnett (London), Edwards (London/Surrey), Stout (Whitechapel), Proud (London/Chester)