Author Topic: Aberfan Inquiry Plan.  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Agneshill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aberfan Inquiry Plan.
« on: Wednesday 05 July 17 20:05 BST (UK) »
I 'm hoping that some kind member can help me obtain a copy of a newspaper cutting (or photo) showing the interior of the building used for the Aberfan Inquiry in October 1966.
I was a cartographer working with the Ordnance Survey when we were directed to make detailed plans showing the devastation caused by the landslip that claimed so many young lives.
I also had the privilege of having to draw a very large plan (c. 8' x6') which was used as a backdrop on the wall behind the "top table".

I used to have a newspaper cutting which was from one of the papers of the day but unfortunately over the years I have misplaced it. I know that all the papers and plans are in the safe keeping of the Glamorgan Archives as I have been in touch with them, but as I live about 500 miles away I am not able to make the journey down. They did say that they could carry out a search for me but the cost involved would be considerable bearing in mind the amount of material they have.

I am hoping that someone may have some photos or cuttings showing the interior of the venue which shows my plan in the background or may be a regular user of the Archives?

This quest was started by the tv broadcast which was screened last year to commemorate the disaster.

I'm attaching an image of the plan which I was able to get off the "paused" picture on the tv.

MacKenzie
MacLeod
Mathesons in U.S.
MacLeay

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Aberfan Inquiry Plan.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 July 17 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

I had a quick flick through the various books on the disaster in Merthyr library today, but few pics and none of what you were looking for.

You might be well off trying the Merthyr & Dowlais libraries collections

for example this is a list of the press clippings Merthyr holds specifically on the Tribunal
http://www.nuffield.ox.ac.uk/politics/aberfan/mtcat2.htm#B2

Overall details here - http://www.nuffield.ox.ac.uk/politics/aberfan/arcintro.htm

Offline Agneshill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Aberfan Inquiry Plan.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 July 17 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Many thanks for your reply and the links to the two sources of information. Much appreciated.

I was aware of these already but I was hoping that someone would have something tucked away they could pass on to me or perhaps point me to something which I could access online.

I'll contact the Methyr Library tomorrow to see if they can take my query further by way of some online access.
MacKenzie
MacLeod
Mathesons in U.S.
MacLeay