Author Topic: Inmates at Maryhill Industrial School, Glasgow sent to Canada.  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Raibert

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Inmates at Maryhill Industrial School, Glasgow sent to Canada.
« on: Thursday 06 July 17 00:56 BST (UK) »

I’m trying to update my new found information on my grandmother, Catherine Blyth Duffy, who at the age of eleven is recorded as being an inmate at Rottenrow Industrial School in the 1881 census. She was relocated to Maryhill Industrial School where at the age of seventeen, along with other girls from Maryhill School, she was transported to Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada on August 1887. The ship they sailed out on to Canada was the Nova Scotia. After that date I have no other record of her until her marriage on 31 December 1901. The marriage took place in Glasgow. Can anyone assist with regard to assessing records of return sailings from Canada to Scotland / Britain between 1887 and 1901? Any other information would be appreciated. The other girl inmates from Maryhill Industrial School who sailed out with my grandmother were: Maggie Wason, Maggie McCallum, Mary Logie, Mary B. Henderson, Minnie Logie, Mary Gillies, Robina Mitchell, Jessie Paul, Agnes Ross, Lizzie Mills, Agnes Stewart, Katie Reid, Maggie Gow, Agnes Francis and Jane Watson.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Inmates at Maryhill Industrial School, Glasgow sent to Canada.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 July 17 19:24 BST (UK) »
Nothing to indicate that this is your Catherine, but...

Sailing on the Astoria from St. John's, Newfoundland to Glasgow, Scotland and arriving 11 July 1901
Cath Duffy; Occupation - Help; Scotch; age marked as "adults of 12 years and upwards"
[The image shows "Port of Embarkation - New York]  :-\

PS  Welcome to RootsChat   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 July 17 19:41 BST (UK) »
Would you know where she was born, please?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 July 17 20:06 BST (UK) »
I'm guessing Scotland from the industrial schools. If so, this may be her in 1891 as "Kathie Duffie", working as a domestic in Halifax, Nova Scotia:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MWK1-2WY
http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?app=Census1891&op=img&id=30953_148116-00360

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Raibert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 July 17 01:14 BST (UK) »
Nothing to indicate that this is your Catherine, but...

Sailing on the Astoria from St. John's, Newfoundland to Glasgow, Scotland and arriving 11 July 1901
Cath Duffy; Occupation - Help; Scotch; age marked as "adults of 12 years and upwards"
[The image shows "Port of Embarkation - New York]  :-\

PS  Welcome to RootsChat   :)

Hi Lisa,

Nice to make your acquaintance. Thanks for your reply and research, much appreciated.

From your information, "Cath Duffy" could be my Grandmother, but, my grandmother was married on 31st December 1901, which doesn’t leave much time to meet and marry my Grandfather. The occupation of "Help" fits - "Laundrymaid" is the occupation on my Grandmother’s marriage cert. It’s possible, and likely, my Grandmother would travel to St John’s Newfoundland if the Astoria was sailing direct to her home town of Glasgow - makes sense.

You’ve given me a good lead to research.

Thanks again,

Raibert.

Offline Raibert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 July 17 01:16 BST (UK) »
Would you know where she was born, please?

Hi Lisa, me again.

Her Birth certificate reads:
Catherine Duffy.
born: 6th June, 1870, 39 Old Vennel, Glasgow.
Father: Thomas Duffy.
Mother: Sarah Duffy (ms Blyth).

Thanks again.

Offline Raibert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 July 17 01:18 BST (UK) »
I'm guessing Scotland from the industrial schools. If so, this may be her in 1891 as "Kathie Duffie", working as a domestic in Halifax, Nova Scotia:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MWK1-2WY
http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?app=Census1891&op=img&id=30953_148116-00360

Hi jorose.

Happy to meet you.

Your guess is correct, both industrial schools were in Glasgow.

"Kathie Duffie" is a very strong possibility. On the passenger list out to Canada she is listed as "Katie Duffy" The misspelling of Duffy is common. All in your Canada Census 1891 applies. She was married in the United Free Church of Scotland, where she landed in Canada, and you’ve located the district where she stayed and the family she stayed with! There’s loads new information there to research.

jocose, thanks for your prompt reply and research - you’ve moved us ten years on - a month past I didn’t even know my Grandmother had been sent to Canada.

Cheers,

Raibert.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 July 17 02:38 BST (UK) »
It's nice to meet you as well.   :)

Perhaps I am incorrect, but I feel like some of the information doesn't quite add up or that we are possibly missing a clue?

Catherine was born 6 June 1870, Glasgow, Scotland
She left Scotland in 1887, sailing from Liverpool, England and according to one of the pay sites, the ports of arrival were "St Johns, Newfoundland" and Halifax, Nova Scotia
Possibly Catherine in 1891: Kathie Duffie, born c1871, Scotland.  Living in Halifax City, NS
Catherine was back in Scotland by 1901

Perhaps I am reading the image incorrectly (quite likely) but it looks like Catherine and a number of young women (including the ones you mentioned) were going to St. John, NB.
   Did she eventually make her way to Halifax (pre-1891) before returning to Scotland?
   Have you tried looking for some of the girls with whom she travelled, to see where they ended up (possibly Halifax or back in Scotland)?
   Could she have met her future husband in Canada and returned to Scotland (with or without him) in order to marry him?
   Have you found her in the 1901 census?
   Who paid her passage back home -- would she have been able to save up enough money to return?

:-\

Offline Raibert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 July 17 16:47 BST (UK) »
It's nice to meet you as well.   :)

Perhaps I am incorrect, but I feel like some of the information doesn't quite add up or that we are possibly missing a clue?

Catherine was born 6 June 1870, Glasgow, Scotland
She left Scotland in 1887, sailing from Liverpool, England and according to one of the pay sites, the ports of arrival were "St Johns, Newfoundland" and Halifax, Nova Scotia
Possibly Catherine in 1891: Kathie Duffie, born c1871, Scotland.  Living in Halifax City, NS
Catherine was back in Scotland by 1901

Perhaps I am reading the image incorrectly (quite likely) but it looks like Catherine and a number of young women (including the ones you mentioned) were going to St. John, NB.
   Did she eventually make her way to Halifax (pre-1891) before returning to Scotland?
   Have you tried looking for some of the girls with whom she travelled, to see where they ended up (possibly Halifax or back in Scotland)?
   Could she have met her future husband in Canada and returned to Scotland (with or without him) in order to marry him?
   Have you found her in the 1901 census?
   Who paid her passage back home -- would she have been able to save up enough money to return?

:-\

Hi LIsa, thanks for your reply and interest.

Here’s the lead I got Catherine’s moving to Canada record from …
Quick Search : British Home Children : The RootsChat.Com Reference ...
surname.rootschat.com/.../dbsig-quick-search.php?...Maryhill%20School%20(Glasgo... 19 Apr 2012 -

I have this info. on Catherine and other inmates arriving in Canada …

ID:   15792    Name:   DUFFY, Catherine    DOB: 1870    Place of Birth: SCT.    Arrivals & Ships:  Aug.1887 : Nova Scotia.    DEST: Canada.    Agency: Maryhill School, Glasgow.

Notes from same website (RootsChat.com)
In 1887, Catherine Duffy, 17, arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, in a group of girls accompanied by *Mrs. Cameron, and en route to Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada.
*Mrs Cameron was the superintendent at Maryhill Industrial School from circa 1882 - 1907.

Also …

Item: Passenger lists of the NOVA SCOTIAN arriving in Halifax, N.S., Baltimore, MD and St. John's, Nfld. on 1887-08-27
Ship ……………………...… NOVA SCOTIAN
Shipping Line …………… Allan Line Steamship Co.
Port of Departure ……..Liverpool, England
Date of Departure …….1887-08-16
Port of Arrival …………….Halifax, N.S.
                             Baltimore, MD
                                  St. John's, Nfld.
Date of Arrival …………….1887-08-27
Year ………………………......1887
Microfilm Reel Number  C-4513
Remarks …………………... Date of arrival may apply to Halifax only
Reference ……………….… RG 76
Item Number …………….…7707

On the Nova Scotian (sic) Passenger List "Cath Duffy" is listed with some of her inmates from Maryhill School so she is definitely my Grandmother.

It may be Catherine did make her way to Halifax and stayed there with a family -  the excellent information "jocose" has given me is very likely to be my Grandmother. Her future husband and my future Grandfather were born in Glasgow and as far as we know he never went to Canada - but then we didn’t know Catherine had gone to Canada! In their 1901 marriage cert my Grandfather and Catherine are recorded as living at different addresses in Glasgow.

The return journey money problem? I’ve given that thought, perhaps there was some cheap fare return scheme?

I’m trying to trace the other Maryhill inmates, but so far no luck.

Hope I’ve covered everything.

Thanks again,

Raibert.