Author Topic: Inmates at Maryhill Industrial School, Glasgow sent to Canada.  (Read 3244 times)

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Inmates at Maryhill Industrial School, Glasgow sent to Canada.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 July 17 08:40 BST (UK) »
Can I ask how you know for definite that the Catherine Duffy in the Maryhill Industrial School is your Catherine Duffy? I may have missed something in a post.
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 July 17 12:42 BST (UK) »
I wonder if she may have went in some sort of assistant capacity to Mrs Cameron - 17 is pretty old for an Industrial School resident (16 was the normal cut off period  after which the authorities dealt with them as adults).

Offline Raibert

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 July 17 18:20 BST (UK) »
Can I ask how you know for definite that the Catherine Duffy in the Maryhill Industrial School is your Catherine Duffy? I may have missed something in a post.

Hello carolineasb,

Application For Poor Relief by Catherine’s mother records Catherine as being placed in Glasgow Rottenrow Industrial Home in 1875 by her mother. The Poor Relief Records show her mother claiming relief as being destitute due to her husband leaving her to (no evidence) go to America.

The Application for Poor Relief Records state:-
Name and Ages of Dependents:- CATHERINE, 6years. Born at 39 Old Vennel. Sent to Industrial School in 1875.
Catherine’s birth cert. shows 39 Old Vennel.
Birth cert. shows Catherine’s mother and father as repeated in Application For Poor Relief.   

Glasgow 1881 census records for Rottenrow Industrial Home show Catherine as 11-year-old inmate. Catherine and other female inmates were relocated to Glasgow, Maryhill Industrial Home in 1881/1882.

Regards,

Raibert.

Offline Raibert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 July 17 18:30 BST (UK) »
I wonder if she may have went in some sort of assistant capacity to Mrs Cameron - 17 is pretty old for an Industrial School resident (16 was the normal cut off period  after which the authorities dealt with them as adults).

Hi Falkyrn, thanks for your interest,

Agree with you about the 16-year-old cut off. I thought similar but recent info shows one of the exported inmates was a 20-year-old. Unlikely Catherine went to Canada as an assistant, she didn’t return to Scotland, appears she was "farmed out" as help to a Canadian family. I don’t know why Catherine was placed in Rottenrow, her mother kept Catherine’s five-year-old brother with her. Perhaps extreme poverty and one child had to be given up? Later on Catherine’s mother entered into a long-term relationship with someone. She had a home, had Catherine’s brother living with her, but for some reason Catherine remained in the Maryhill home until she was 17-years-old.

Cheers,

Raibert.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 July 17 20:40 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the Poor Law Records for information, given that the Parish would have been maintaining them in the Industrial School and probably paying for the transportation to Canada there should be some record - they were very demanding of record keeping in respect of the cash  ::)

Offline Raibert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 July 17 14:52 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the Poor Law Records for information, given that the Parish would have been maintaining them in the Industrial School and probably paying for the transportation to Canada there should be some record - they were very demanding of record keeping in respect of the cash  ::)

Hello again Falkyrn,

We have the "in" and "out" records of Catherine’s mother’s "Application For Poor Relief."

The application was made in 1876 and updated on 1913 (nothing in between) on the death of Catherine’s mother. There is no reference to Catherine on the 1913 section. 1913 records only show addresses, name of person Catherine’s mother lived with and Catherine’s young brother. We do know Catherine’s young brother thankfully kept in touch with her as his wife is named as a witness on Catherine’s marriage certificate.

Thanks again,

Raibert.