Author Topic: Patmores around Birchanger and Bishops Stortford  (Read 1527 times)

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patmores around Birchanger and Bishops Stortford
« on: Thursday 06 July 17 12:47 BST (UK) »
Greetings,
I hope that this hasn't been covered previously.... I guess the moderators will soon let me know.

I'm researching ancestry of Joshua and Ann Patmore who went to Van Diemens Land, along with their 5 children on the Indian Queen in 1856.
Back in their ancestry there is a James Patmore, born in Bishops Stortford in 1709. According to several Ancestry Trees, he is supposed to have married Elizabeth Chipperfield in Harlow in 1746 and who was supposedly born in Birchanger around 1725. All the children of James were baptized in Birchanger, however I'm more interested in Elizabeth.
A hunt through the Birchanger baptisms on SEAX brings up nothing except for three Chipperfields ( not Elizabeth) who were baptized about 1720 odd. Harlow is even odder.
According to the ERO, the Harlow parish chest was stolen in 1814 along with the PRs. The PRs back from there had to be reconstructed and now only exist back to 1755 even then only partially.
A brute force search around Birchanger in both Essex and Herts has, as far as I can see, turned up nothing.

Suggestions as to where to go from here would be greatly appreciated. I can't get to the ERO as I live in Brisbane, somewhere on the east coast of Australia.

Thanking you kindly, Keith

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Patmores around Birchanger and Bishops Stortford
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 July 17 16:37 BST (UK) »
I found what appears to be another Joshua Patmore born 1824 who was also subject to Transportation together with his brother who was three years older George Barker Patmore-18 and 21, for house breaking. Both from Bishops Stortford. They arrived in 1847 aboard the Pestonjee Bomanjee. Crime committed in 1842. I could not find much about Elizabeth Chipperfield apart from the fact that in 1802 she attended the funeral of Lady Kinnaird at Fleurs, Roxburgh. Scotland. She was a widow aged 77 years. It says "Mrs Elizabeth Patmore, aged 77 years, widow of Mr James Patmore of Birchhanger, Essex at whose interment her children to the number of 18, followed her remains to the grave" A lot of children and friends in high places by the sound of it.
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 11:03 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this is any help but there is a marriage for Samuel Chipperfield to Sarah Pomfrett on 22/04/1712 in Birchanger,

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 July 17 00:47 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this is any help but there is a marriage for Samuel Chipperfield to Sarah Pomfrett on 22/04/1712 in Birchanger,

Thanks to those who replied. Appreciate it.

Keith

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 July 17 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you tried HALS?

https://www.hertsdirect.org/ufs/ufsmain?formid=HALS_INDEXES

(Site down today for maintenance)

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline paperwork

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 July 19 21:41 BST (UK) »
Manuden Essex, I have a Thomas Patmore b1746 who married Sarah Chipperfield b1749 Marriage 1770, Thomas' father was Jonas Patmore b1725.