Author Topic: Bruce's Land, Mill's West Wind, Dundee?  (Read 6517 times)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce's Land, Mill's West Wind, Dundee?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 July 17 11:58 BST (UK) »
jhan -just out of interest I see in the 1871 census their address is Scouringburn. This was at the bottom of Brook Street (my Gt. Grandmother was living there in the 1881 census.) If you google "Scouringburn" and go on to the Scotlands places website you will see photographs of it.

My late father was a Dundonian and from memory I remember him telling me that "Lands" were names given to sections of streets. This could explain your Bruce's Land.

Also, take a look at Photo Polis Old Dundee. I believe you can contact them via email so they may be able to answer your query. You could also try emailing Dundee City Archives. They can be very helpful.

Hope this helps a little.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 July 17 12:25 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the address on the birth certificate may have been wrongly recorded ? It does happen sometimes. Searching around I have found a MILNES WEST WYND which is near Brook Street and Scouringburn Court where they were in the 1871 census.

Just a thought.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 07 July 17 13:21 BST (UK) »
Jhan, Thanks for extra info.

Dorrie, That's a thought....

NICOLL MRS
Tenant Occupier
DWELLING HOUSE ATTIC MILNES WEST WYND EAST SIDE
LIFF AND BENVIE
VR009800015-

I'm wondering if Teresa's BC had the district of 'St. Mary' on it?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 07 July 17 13:24 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the address on the birth certificate may have been wrongly recorded ? It does happen sometimes. Searching around I have found a MILNES WEST WYND which is near Brook Street and Scouringburn Court where they were in the 1871 census.
Very possible. I know a lot of people who spell their names Milne but pronouce them Mill.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 07 July 17 13:32 BST (UK) »
Possible...

NICOLL WILLIAM
Tenant Occupier
DWELLING HOUSE NO 2 MILNES WEST WYND WEST SIDE
LIFF AND BENVIE
VR009800036-

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 07 July 17 14:22 BST (UK) »
Excellent explanation about "Lands", thank you Forfarian. I was expecting Bruce's Lands to be larger than that, but it probably explains why it's not marked on any maps that we've found (so far). A co-incidence that you mention medieval street layouts - earlier I was looking at Bonnet Hill (heading north towards Forfar here http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400021 and wondering about the widened parts of it).

Can someone please direct me to Milne's West Wynd West Side? (Is that "West Wynd"? If so, what is "Milnes"?)

Sorry . A bit confused.  :-[

PS. Thanks for Brown's Buildings Jhan.  :)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 07 July 17 14:38 BST (UK) »
Excellent explanation about "Lands", thank you Forfarian. I was expecting Bruce's Lands to be larger than that, but it probably explains why it's not marked on any maps that we've found (so far).
It occurs to me that in older sasines, pieces of ground are often described as 'the lands (plural) of xxx' where xxx can be quite a large estate. When describing one of these built-up alleys in a town, it's always 'land' in the singular - Bruce's Land, or Anniesland (Glasgow) and so on, as opposed to 'Lands of Loyal' (Alyth) etc.

Not sure what Milne's is. I note the apostrophe in the document, Mill's West Wynd, implying that the west wynd belonged to Mill, whoever Mill (or Milne) may have been. (Very important little things, apostrophes, though unfortunately these days many people have no idea how to use them correctly.)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 07 July 17 14:51 BST (UK) »
Can someone please direct me to Milne's West Wynd West Side? (Is that "West Wynd"? If so, what is "Milnes"?)

Ruskie,

If I'm being honest (with Dorrie's thought in mind) I agree with her there may have been an error?

I'm unsure if 'Millar's Wynd West Side' & 'Milne's West Wynd West Side' are one & the same although given different on the VR Rolls?

At present all I know is that Blackness Road was listed under the District of St. Mary in Liff & Benvie.

There were other Districts beginning 'St' which I have come across in my research although I can't recall which names now.

It may/may not help knowing if Teresa was born St. Mary District?

Annie

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 07 July 17 14:58 BST (UK) »
There were other Districts beginning 'St' which I have come across in my research although I can't recall which names now.
Dundee was divided into different registration districts at different times. These included St Andrew (1868-1951), St Clement (1868-1951), St Mary (1868-1918) and St Peter (1868-1918). There was a joint RD of St Mary and St Peter from 1919 to 1951.

As far as I can see, Liff Benvie and Invergowrie was a separate RD right through from 1855 to 1968. I don't know exactly where the parish/RD boundary went but perhaps one end of Blackness Road was in Dundee St Mary and the other end in Liff Benvie and Invergowrie.