Author Topic: Bruce's Land, Mill's West Wind, Dundee?  (Read 6461 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce's Land, Mill's West Wind, Dundee?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 07 July 17 15:00 BST (UK) »
It's never straightforward is it Annie?  ;D

Back to "Land/s" ..... it's been a while and I can't recall the specifics, but I have come across X's Land, appearing as quite a large estate, generally in more remote areas. I don't recall if they were Land or Lands though. It's all very interesting.  :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 07 July 17 15:02 BST (UK) »
My other thought is...

Blackness Road seems to be a very long road i.e. St. Mary District would cover a large area which possibly/hopefully includes that 'Wynd'  by whichever name ::)

Annie

Red Alert....Dundee is a large City & was most likely very overcrowded?
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 07 July 17 16:43 BST (UK) »
Some more info on our search of Dundee in the 1860's which might be helpful in clearing a few points up.

S.P. Index for Teresa Nicoll shows birth registered in Dundee Second District.

Milne's Wynd West is of Brook Street.
Miller's Wynd is between Hawkhill and Perth Road.

Yes, Annie Blackness Road ( known as the Blackie) is a very long Road and my Grandmother was born there in 1891.

This area of Dundee has changed greatly in the last 50 or so years. It holds very fond memories for me from my childhood and I was actually Baptised in Chalmers Church just of the Hawkhill and Blackness Road.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 07 July 17 21:24 BST (UK) »
Dundee was divided into different registration districts at different times. These included St Andrew (1868-1951), St Clement (1868-1951), St Mary (1868-1918) and St Peter (1868-1918). There was a joint RD of St Mary and St Peter from 1919 to 1951.

As far as I can see, Liff Benvie and Invergowrie was a separate RD right through from 1855 to 1968. I don't know exactly where the parish/RD boundary went but perhaps one end of Blackness Road was in Dundee St Mary and the other end in Liff Benvie and Invergowrie.

Ah, thanks Forfarian as I missed this on the RED ALERT I had earlier (I didn't scroll down) but that's good to know too!

Dorrie,

Thanks for confirming the 2 different places/areas, confusion over in that dept.  ;D

So it looks as though 'Mill's West' is Milne's West Wynd, West Side, (off Brook Street) which will help Ruskie & the added dating info. from Forfarian!

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline jhan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 07 July 17 22:00 BST (UK) »
The birth record has '2 District of Burgh of Dundee'.

I can definitely see how Mill's might become Milnes and vice versa.

Jhan, Thanks for extra info.

Dorrie, That's a thought....

NICOLL MRS
Tenant Occupier
DWELLING HOUSE ATTIC MILNES WEST WYND EAST SIDE
LIFF AND BENVIE
VR009800015-

I'm wondering if Teresa's BC had the district of 'St. Mary' on it?

Annie

Offline jhan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 07 July 17 22:29 BST (UK) »
Do you have a map/list of which districts became which over time or know where I might find one?

Thank you all so much for your information. I'm from Dundee myself but have spent most of my ancestry time looking at other parts of the family and know lots about random parts of Fife, Glasgow and Aberdeen, but I am only just staring to look into my Dundonian side and its fascinating!

There were other Districts beginning 'St' which I have come across in my research although I can't recall which names now.
Dundee was divided into different registration districts at different times. These included St Andrew (1868-1951), St Clement (1868-1951), St Mary (1868-1918) and St Peter (1868-1918). There was a joint RD of St Mary and St Peter from 1919 to 1951.

As far as I can see, Liff Benvie and Invergowrie was a separate RD right through from 1855 to 1968. I don't know exactly where the parish/RD boundary went but perhaps one end of Blackness Road was in Dundee St Mary and the other end in Liff Benvie and Invergowrie.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 07 July 17 22:49 BST (UK) »
Jhan..

I can't help with maps re the districts but Ruskie may be able to help further when she comes on?

"The birth record has '2 District of Burgh of Dundee"

I have a feeling that although the births on the same page were recorded in the same district that possibly the Blackness Road area was divided depending on the numbering as to which district?

Annie

I have 2 in my own tree born 3 Blackness Road & 13 Blackness Square but they're recorded in St. Mary District which appears to be the south end (heading to the Tay Bridge)? 

Offline jhan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 07 July 17 22:54 BST (UK) »
http://www.talkingscot.com/rds/city-rds-dundee.htm#top%20of%20page

I just found this! It shows the district over the years and says which districts became which. Very useful!

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 07 July 17 22:54 BST (UK) »
Jhan I cannot find anything online so perhaps you would be better contacting Dundee City Archives

archives@dundeecity.gov.uk  Telephone 01382 434494 

Do you still live in Dundee?

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife