Author Topic: Bruce's Land, Mill's West Wind, Dundee?  (Read 6459 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce's Land, Mill's West Wind, Dundee?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 July 17 03:19 BST (UK) »
Ruskie,

I have many relatives in different 'Lands' who were in Lanarkshire & Miners.

I understand what you mean, I believe the 'Lands' may have been named after the 'Owners'?

However, that theory doesn't work for me in Dundee as it wasn't a 'Mining' community i.e. I'm unsure of the possible origins?

It appears from reading between the lines it may have had something to do with 'Milling'?

Dundee had many different trades i.e. the occupation of Jhan's "GGGrandmother's" father could be very helpful?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 July 17 03:25 BST (UK) »
Ooops.... ;D

This is another apart from the VRs..

http://digital.nls.uk/directories/

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 July 17 03:31 BST (UK) »
Ruskie,

I couldn't find a 'Bruce' in the Directories i.e. it's possible the surname of Jhan's ancestors may appear with the 'Bruce' address connection?

Annie

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 July 17 04:36 BST (UK) »
Yes, I am hoping it might become  clearer when Jhan returns with some names and addresses. I notice a lot of manufacturing on the Dundee maps (there are some excellent town plans on the NLS site). Doing a bit of googling I found a John Bruce, manufacturer in Dundee, but I couldn't see specific mention of any kind of business on any of the maps. Of course he may be unrelated to the Bruce of Bruce's lands ....  :-\

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 July 17 04:57 BST (UK) »
I only checked that one year on the VRs as I thought it best to get some further info. rather than assumption on blind searches.

The reason being the name Bruce's Land wasn't there i.e. other info. may be relevant to narrow things down.

As you mentioned Ruskie, it may simply have been a reference used by tenants referring to the Proprietor rather than a known landmark?

Annie

Offline jhan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 July 17 07:55 BST (UK) »
Wow! Thank you so much for your replies. Here's me thinking everyone would be in bed so I could wait til morning to check lol

In answer to your questions...

Teresa Nicoll 26/01/1865

Parents...

William Nicoll, Sacking Weaver
Mary Nicoll m/s Simson(Simpson)

1871 Census

197 Scouringburn, Parish of Liff & Benvie

William 40 Mill Worker
Mary 40
Jane Ann 12 Mill Worker
Alexander 10 Scholar
William 8
Teresa 6
Mary 4

1861 Census (still working on)

Births of other children (Still working on)

I've not got a lot in this family yet as I'm just beginning to look properly into them and the name variants are endless!

Not insulted at all!! Will try and attach a screenshot. I've taken it to read 'Bruce's' as the 'r' looks like one written above in the word 'January'. Apologies if I put the commas in the wrong places, that's just where I felt they naturally should have been.

Thanks again!

Jenni

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 July 17 09:13 BST (UK) »
Jenni, with the addresses, can I ask "what" Buildings it was on Blackness Road? I noticed Blackness Road on many of the Dundee town plans I looked at - it's close to Miller's Wynd.

Lots of Mill workers.  ;D

Added: Yes, it does look like "Bruce's Land" ....

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 July 17 10:51 BST (UK) »
I am not sure where to look for landholders called Bruce, but if I understand it correctly, this is the meaning behind the "Somehting" Lands? I've seen "Lands" before in Scotland but generally in the  ountryside, but that may be more to do with abodes I generally look for.  :)

In a mediaeval town, the street plan is usually a single street, widening in the middle to make space for the church and market. On both sides of the street there are houses, each one with a strip of ground behind it at right angles to the main street. Usually there is a lane or alley along each strip, or perhaps every pair of strips. Over time, the strips of ground get built on as demand for housing in the town increases, and the result is a narrow lane or alley with houses, sometimes several storeys high,  on both sides of it. Sometimes the lane or alley is a dead end, and sometimes it has an exit at the other end. The word 'land' is applied to the lane or alley and the houses reached by it.

The Old Town of Edinburgh is a classic example of a mediaeval street layout - take a look at http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400026 - you will need to zoom in to see it at its best.
You can see a similar plan, albeit the main street layout is a little more complex, of Dundee http://maps.nls.uk/view/120816545 and there are lots more old street maps on the NLS web site.

In larger cities there can be many streets with lands along them, and the lands acquired names so that they could be distinguished from their neighbours.

A land can be named after the proprietor, or after a tenant-in-chief who rents the whole land from a landlord and lets the individual dwellings in it, or even after a prominent person who is the tenant of one dwelling in the land. 

Here's another one - again you'll need to zoom in - showing Miller's Wynd, Mid Wynd and West Wynd. http://maps.nls.uk/view/74478928 all linking Perth Road and Hawkhill.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jhan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 July 17 11:01 BST (UK) »
It says '57 Brown's Buildings'. I have attached a screenshot.

I found the same family in 1851 (eventually!) in the Hilltown.