Author Topic: ROBERT WHITE  (Read 360 times)

Offline wildcats13

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ROBERT WHITE
« on: Friday 07 July 17 04:57 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out how & when our Robert White come to Australia from Ireland, and I am hoping someone can help me..
What I know so far is;
He was 40 years old when he died in 1877 in Goulburn, NSW, making him born about 1837                   He was born in Belfast, Ireland, son of John White & Sarah Robinson.                                             
He married Mary Jane Robinson in 1859 in Goulburn, NSW.                                                                 I have been told that he was about 17 years when he came to Australia (unconfirmed).                 
One story I was told was that he arrived in South Australia on the "Rajah" in 1849 from London & Plymouth and then travelled across to NSW (cannot confirm) There was a Robert White on the ship as a single male but no age shown, and in any case as he would have ony been about 12 years and there were no other "Whites" on the ship.                                                                                   
I have also checked all the Robert White's that arrived in NSW, shown on the State Archives between 1848 & 1864, and none fit into the age required.                                                         

My thoughts are that he would have travelled most likely from Ireland direct to Australia.       Hoping someone can shed some light.                                                                             
Wildcats