Author Topic: What is a FLUTER?  (Read 1938 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What is a FLUTER?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 July 17 12:02 BST (UK) »
fluter, handle fluter    (i) scores and shapes cutlery handles by means of glass paper, wheels, or saws;     (iij carves flutings, or other grooved ornamentations, by hand or on a lathe, on handles of table carvers, fruit knives, &c., made of ivory, bone, etc.; may also polish them on buffs or dollies; sometimes specially named according to material worked, e.g. ivory fluter. "A Dictionary of Occupational Terms"

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 July 17 13:03 BST (UK) »
A fluted sword mentioned here; https://royalarmouries.org/visit-us/leeds/leeds-galleries/tournament-gallery/henry-viii/single-object/254

I suppose that by flute they mean what I would term the fuller.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 July 17 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi EB

I have 'always' (so for decades) known the handles on my knives to be 'fluted' but perhaps in light of tonepad's post, you could post the census reference so that we can look it up, or perhaps if you have a snip tool on your pc, you could snip that section of that image and attach the snip to a reply post.

JM

It would be useful to see the original census entry.

Putting the flute or fuller in the weapon is probably carried out by the bladesmith and would not be a separate trade.(Fluted Sword is in common usage, especially crossword clues).

Attaching a handle to the blade could be a separate trade (fluter). If the census is based in and around Sheffield this use of the term could be borrowed from the cutlery industry.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex