Author Topic: Old documents *COMPLETED*  (Read 962 times)

Offline Malcolm Bull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Old documents *COMPLETED*
« on: Friday 07 July 17 10:03 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure which board this should be posted on, but ...

From time to time, here at the Calderdale Companion, I get emails from people asking if I want the originals of their old documents - will, deeds, magazines, brochures - which they no longer want or need.

Such items typically will relate to people and property in Halifax and Calderdale, but I don't know what to suggest.  It would be a pity if these were lost.

Can anyone suggest suitable archives for such items? Are the archives at Halifax Central Library able to accept them?  Are the Wakefield archives able to accept them?

I should like to put an entry on the Calderdale Companion to steer people in the right direction, possibly giving emails addresses whereby they might approach such archives.

Any help would be appreciated
Surname interests:

Huntingdon: Bull / Shelford
Rotherham: Andrews / Steel
Easingwold: Snowball / Potter

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old documents
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 July 17 10:10 BST (UK) »
Have you tried asking Halifax Central Library if they would be interested in the documents?

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Malcolm Bull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 July 17 10:50 BST (UK) »
Not at the moment, Calderdale Libraries are in the midst of their controversial removal to the new premises.

I had hoped to get response from anyone who has used any of these archives in the past.
Surname interests:

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 July 17 11:51 BST (UK) »
I've deposited items at both Bradford and Leeds archives, which come under the same WYAS umbrella. From memory, I think they'd be more likely to be interested in original documents such as deeds and wills than magazines and brochures, though that might depend on exactly what the subject/content was. I think there's a document somewhere on their website setting out their collections policy, but I'm afraid I don't have time to look just now.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Malcolm Bull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Old documents *COMPLETED*
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 July 17 18:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  That's very reassuring.

Malcolm Bull
Surname interests:

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Old documents *COMPLETED*
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 July 17 22:02 BST (UK) »
Malcolm

WYAS can be picky over age of and type of documents they will hold for storage limitations; like a book holding a lot of information, like a parish register 300 years old or a person who has gathered MI's of a graveyard are most likely to be accepted but an individuals Will say only 25 years old of  a common person of a population of millions, is less likely to be considered unless of someone of importance or notability.  but Borthwick Institute at York uni maybe interested in Wills of all types or age of them.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth