Author Topic: Griffith Jones  (Read 12545 times)

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Griffith Jones
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 July 17 15:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you everybody for your quick responses.
I have seen some of the census's but was never sure with the locations, although that would be a feasible route from Denbighshire to Manchester.
Not sure how Griffith and Harriet could be born in West Derby though if they stated that they were born in Manchester on the census, but the names and dates to add up?
I have also seen an 1841 census in Denbighshire (Ruabon I think) where an Elizabeth Williams is living with a Jones family, one of which is Griffiths and he is a few years younger than her, but again i wasn't sure if this was the same Griffiths!! And I can't remember where I've seen it now?
The twins are interesting, because to my knowledge I haven't heard of any twins in my family!!
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 July 17 16:00 BST (UK) »
I agree that the West Derby births are unlikely.  There is a Griffith Jones of the right age on 1871 census West Derby,  ???

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 July 17 20:51 BST (UK) »
Aargh, I thought my Irish ancestors were hard enough to research.
I can no longer find the 1841 census with Griffith Jones and Elizabeth Williams in Denbighshire, nor can I find the record of their marriage in St. Asaph in 1846...
Maybe the West Derby  birth records are another red herring...
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 July 17 21:32 BST (UK) »
I can no longer find the 1841 census with Griffith Jones and Elizabeth Williams in Denbighshire

Not sure if this helps or hinders but quite a lot of the 1841 for the  wider Wrexham area (including Ruabon) is missing. (Lots of threads on this)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 July 17 22:17 BST (UK) »

nor can I find the record of their marriage in St. Asaph in 1846...

Free BMD index has it under the Jun quarter vol 27 page 307
but there are 4 brides and 4 grooms - 3 Jones and 3 Williams
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 July 17 09:45 BST (UK) »
The North Wales BMD is showing Griffith Jones possibly marrying an Eliza Williams, Wrexham St Giles, 1850.

The parish records show that they married on August 26th 1850 at the above church. Both of full age and living in Bersham.
Griffith is recorded as a forgeman (which would fit with the puddler in the 1861 census). His father recorded as William Jones,blacksmith.
Eliza is recorded as a cottager. Her father is lsited as John Williams, butcher.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 08 July 17 09:51 BST (UK) »
Just to say that it is unlikely to find any of those mentioned on the marriage entry on the 1841 because  the Wrexham area records are missing - apart form a small part of Wrexham town itself as Clwyd FHS transcripts . I have these but can't do a search at the moment and will look later. They aren't available online to my knowledge.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 08 July 17 11:45 BST (UK) »
The transcription of Eliza and William's birthplace on the 1861 as 'Coven' is written as Cavan on the page image. I would think that this is really Cefn  (Cefn Mawr) a township in Ruabon parish.
It is pronounced as Cevan or Cevin or even Cavan. Most locals would pronounce it as Cevan (I do  ;D ). This would tie in with the 1851 census that Ellenmai found.

Can't find any baptisms that fit for either Eliza or William so far.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 08 July 17 11:58 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if the Wassell on the 1861 for Griffith's birthplace is Gwersyllt - on the outskirts of Wrexham. Phonetically similar! Also, not far from Hope, as listed on the 1851.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/Gwersyllt

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/FLN/Hope

Gadget