Author Topic: Why would someone move from Kirkcudbright to Pembrokeshire?  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Pennyquilter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Why would someone move from Kirkcudbright to Pembrokeshire?
« on: Friday 07 July 17 14:30 BST (UK) »
My husband's great grandfather Anthony Reid (son of Alexander Reid & Agnes Gourlay/Sourlay) was baptised in Twynholm, Kirkudbright in November 1814 (though the Family Bible shows 1816), and appears on the 1841 census as age 25, Ag Lab at Blackhill, Kirkcubright (together with his father and mother, sister Janet and illegitimate nephew (we believe) Anthony Thomson. 
By 1851, he appears on the census for Pembroke Dock in West Wales as age 35, a Policeman at the Royal Dockyard.  The ten years between the two censuses are a mystery in this story, except that we know he married Jane Reynolds from Carmarthenshire on February 24, 1851 (a month before the census) in St John Pater, Pembroke.
Has anyone any ideas as to how and why he would have made the journey from Scotland to Wales?  Was there a recruitment campaign in the locality?  Did Anthony have a relative already in the police (the Dockyard Police was a branch of the Metropolitan Police at one stage)?
All ideas gratefully received.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Why would someone move from Kirkcudbright to Pembrokeshire?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 July 17 15:14 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Pennyquilter.

Likely he would have moved for work or family, or both. Anyone's guesses would be just that, guesses, unless you can find some solid documentation, newspapers perhaps.

All most of us have to tell our ancestor's stories is snapshots every ten years through the censuses and births, marriages and deaths. There is usually nothing more to be found.

How would he have gone from Scotland to Wales? Possibly some train travel, or whatever other public transport was available at the time - as well as walking of course. Once again - just guesses and something you will never know for sure unless you are very lucky and find some documentation.  :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 July 17 15:39 BST (UK) »
As Ruskie suggests any thoughts are guesses but could it be that he moved from Kirkcudbright to another area prior to then heading even further south?

Newcastle/Durham area seemed to be Quay places?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 July 17 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

Some of my ancestors moved from Kirkcudbright to Queensferry (on the Mersey) by sea and then by coach to the Bala area of North Wales in 1835 because of the imposition of expensive 'improving leases' on the farms in the area. Other members later travelled by train. 

He could have travelled by various means but, given he was in Pembroke Dock, I'd suggest a KKD/Liverpool/Pembroke route - possibly partly or wholly by sea.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 July 17 16:14 BST (UK) »
I forgot to mention that the quarry near Creetown provided the stone for some of the construction work of Liverpool docks so there was regular shipping between the two areas.  At one time, I had the timetables but they are not easily accessible at the moment - I'm sure they're also online.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 July 17 16:34 BST (UK) »
Not forgetting the naval and army connections to Pembroke Dock, which may have brought him there if he had joined up

Offline Pennyquilter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 July 17 16:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for such quick responses and great suggestions.
I've mused on the idea that Anthony may have sailed down the coast to Wales, but the nagging question is "why". I can't think he would have made that journey without some kind of job offer or invitation from a friend or relative!  At this point in our research, we're thinking he may have left Kirkcudbright after the death of his father or mother, sometime after 1841.
Penny

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 21:27 BST (UK) »
The large population centres in England required a constant supply of food in quantity. I have ancestors who herded cattle & sheep all the way from Dumfries to the outskirts of London, there was no other way to move herds other than on foot, your ancestor was employed in Agriculture/Farm work so would be likely engaged in such movements to all population centres.

James.   

Offline Pennyquilter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi James
Thanks for this really helpful suggestion.
Penny