Author Topic: FindMyPast Wiltshire wills index added today  (Read 3824 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: FindMyPast Wiltshire wills index added today
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 July 17 21:25 BST (UK) »
Interesting comments, Smudwhisk and Newburychap (though I would point out that Newbury's second quote attributed to me was infact Smudwhisk's).

I appreciate that the Archivist has to carry on with the 'day job' in the face of central government cuts to local government funding. Been there, done that. Wouldn't that be a positive reason to consider being paid by FindMyPast or Ancestry to allow the records to be digitised? I must admit, though, that I had no idea that FindMyPast expected the records to be digitised by the archives staff or volunteers. I presume that would mean they would pay more for the privilege, or am I being naive?

I think I'm right that Berks FHS have only recently updated their burials CD - not their baptisms or marriages, all of which I believe are already available in transcription form on FindMyPast. So, I wonder what FindMyPast will be presenting to us this summer, if not any digitised PRs?

The fact that Berkshire is a small county shouldn't matter but I suppose money talks, as ever. Just a shame for all of us with main branches in the county but living nowhere near.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 July 17 21:51 BST (UK) »
There is no way the archivist is going to go out of his way to get the records online - he is too busy coping with cuts on cuts, laying off staff, and still trying to get the day job done.

Quite possibly but from what I've seen the Records Offices/Archives have issued "tenders" for the digitisation to attract interest, something that with public sector rules would need to be done, or made approaches themselves.  If he is indeed waiting for someone to approach them, than we will most likely be waiting a long time if ever.  In any case, it wouldn't be the Archivist that would do this, but more likely someone else with the council responsible for this however I would imagine it would need to be started internally by the Archivist.

I think I'm right that Berks FHS have only recently updated their burials CD - not their baptisms or marriages, all of which I believe are already available in transcription form on FindMyPast. So, I wonder what FindMyPast will be presenting to us this summer, if not any digitised PRs?

As has been discussed on other threads on RC, I think you'll find it will be more of the same from the FHS but only time will tell.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 July 17 22:49 BST (UK) »
Interesting comments, Smudwhisk and Newburychap (though I would point out that Newbury's second quote attributed to me was infact Smudwhisk's).

Sorry Jill & Smudwisk - I obviously messed up on the quotes!
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 July 17 23:17 BST (UK) »
small county, small returns

Not that small, since it includes the parishes that were taken away in 1974.  (The grey portions of the map)

UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 October 17 00:18 BST (UK) »
http://www.wshc.eu/blog/item/wiltshire-wills.html

Update on Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre website, looks like the digitised original Wills and Admons are due on Ancestry from the middle of next month. ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 October 17 12:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info, smudwhisk.

I read the article but may have missed it - does this mean that Wiltshire's own website will be closed? I ask because I don't subscribe to Ancestry and don't want to lose access to the wills.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 October 17 13:36 BST (UK) »
Don't know, you can't order off Wiltshire's website anyway, has been down for several years.  You'd need to ask them the question whether they're removing the index or not.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 19:12 GMT (UK) »
I read the article but may have missed it - does this mean that Wiltshire's own website will be closed? I ask because I don't subscribe to Ancestry and don't want to lose access to the wills.

For info the Wiltshire Wills Index on the WSHC website appears to have been removed sometime over the last few days, it was definitely on there last week as I used it.  They've updated the page regarding Wills to say this was to happen Spring 2018 but as it isn't exactly Spring yet, they've obviously decided to remove it now which is a shame as there are some issues with Ancestry's indexing and now can't check how many pages there should be for any Wills or Admons (where they have been previously digitised by the HC).  I can appreciate why its been removed but seems a little premature in light of issues. :-\