Author Topic: Images of Derbyshire Parish Registers  (Read 2135 times)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Images of Derbyshire Parish Registers
« on: Saturday 08 July 17 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry to return to the subject of images of Derbyshire Parish Registers which have been available to view at home on Familysearch.

After my last post the images did become available again for some weeks, but were not available so I again asked Family search if this was a glitch or permanent?

This is their reply:-
"The contract negotiations with the custodian of the Derbyshire Parish registers now stipulate that these records be made available only through a local family history center.  Here are the parameters for viewing:
The message:
These images are viewable:

When using the site at a family history center.
 If patrons use a family history center computer, they can see the images. They cannot simply be in the center using a personal laptop or handheld device. They should not sign in to FamilySearch.org. If they sign in, they will not see the images."

So no point clicking on the camera icon re Derbyshire Registers, think this is very sad loss of a free resource.

They should be available on Ancestry next year.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Images of Derbyshire Parish Registers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 July 17 13:10 BST (UK) »
Glossop PR's are still available via the catalogue. The others I tried were not. Why is that?
https://familysearch.org/search/film/004172628?cat=598061

East Sussex records on FamilySearch - although never "officially" available? - can no longer be viewed at home. West Sussex can still be viewed including the BT's for the whole county.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 July 17 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

This is odd!

Your connection works, however if you attempt to view images in the normal way searching a name in Glossop and when you get the result clicking on the camera icon the images are not available.

Could you please explain how you accessed Glossop via the catalogue, as it may be possible to access other Derbyshire images using your method. I would like to access Derby Registers.

Thanks
Spendlove

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 July 17 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
Via a Family Search catalogue search for Glossop, Derbyshire, and selecting Church Records here
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/598061?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Two of the camera icons work (if logged in), i.e. images at home, the other one didn't.
John

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 July 17 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi John

Thanks for that. I think it is just a fluke that part of the glossop records are still available, have had a search of lots of other Derbyshire registers and none are available.

Spendlove

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 July 17 15:52 BST (UK) »
I found, just a few days ago, that the Glossop PR images are now restricted. When I queried the reason with the LDS I was given a similar reason to above.

I sent an e-mail to Derbyshire CRO on Thursday afternoon asking if there is any other facility through which I can access records held by Derbyshire CRO on-line but haven't yet had an answer.

The images which used to be available were marriages 1837-1875. They are still unavailable.

However, by clicking on the link in the post by jonw65 (at 13:10 yesterday) I can access what appears to be the baptism registers up to 1858 (though the first page says baptisms 1696-1732, marriages 1666-1723 and burials 1673-1732).

How strange.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 12:28 BST (UK) »
Familysearch appear to have caught up on the anomaly that some of the "restricted to centre" images were working through the web.  Just tried some Sussex parishes that had been changed in April to say had to be viewed at one of their centres but if you signed in were still accessible at home, unfortunately now these even when you are signed in are restricted. :-\  Oh well it was good while it worked.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 15:17 BST (UK) »
I've just received an e-mail reply from Derbyshire CRO: "I am sorry that you are currently unable to view some of our records.  However the Parish Registers that are currently available on microfilm at the office are due to be made available through the Ancestry website. We do not have an exact date as yet as to when this will be, but we are hopeful that it will be before the end of the year.  If you do not have your own subscription to this website then hopefully a library near you does - users of Derbyshire libraries for example can use Ancestry for free within the library. I hope this information has been of use."

So, it's a case of like it or lump it. Happily I did the majority of my research which will involve Glossop PRs many years ago so it was a "nice to have" rather than an essential for me. I have expressed my disappointment to Derbyshire CRO.

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 16:06 BST (UK) »
Further response from DCC: "I’m sorry to hear that you are disappointed in not being able to access our parish registers for free on the LDS Family Search website.  Until recently we were ourselves unaware that the parish registers were available on this website, as Family Search had neglected to inform us, or specifically request our permission to place the images online.  As we have now entered into a contract with Ancestry, they have come to an agreement with the LDS about removing the images."