Author Topic: Thomas Rees and Martha Williams.  (Read 276 times)

Offline corinthian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Rees and Martha Williams.
« on: Sunday 09 July 17 07:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to trace any siblings of David Rees, born 08/12/1805, in Milford, Steynton, Pembrokeshire. I believe his parents were Thomas Rees, a labourer & Martha Williams, who married 15/11/1804 in Steynton, Pembrokeshire.

In 1841 Thomas & Martha are living in Third St, (later named Back St & then Robert St), Steynton, Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire. Living with them is daughter-in-law, Mary Ann Rees, an Esther (or Hester) Rees, aged 26 & John Rees aged, aged 5.

Mary Ann Rees was married to their son, David, a mariner, who was, presumably, out on the seas somewhere and I did originally assume that Esther was a daughter of Thomas & Martha, (although there is a big gap between David born in 1805 & Esther not until 1815/1816), but now suspect that she may have been another daughter-in-law. It is not recorded if Esther is widowed, married or single. I also made the assumption that John was a son of David & Mary Ann but now believe him to be a son of Esther's.

I have traced a widowed Esther Reese, who in the 1851 census, is aged 33, living with son, John, aged 16, a Blacksmith and daughter, Martha, aged 2 months. Esther is now a lodging house keeper & the family are living in Back Street, Steynton. I have been unable to trace any further records of the family after this with any certainty.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Regards

Coreen   

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Rees and Martha Williams.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 July 17 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
The birth registration which I presume is Martha Rees June 1851 Pembroke gives her mother's maiden name as Nicholas.
On-line trees has John born 14 April 1835 s of John (1815-1850) and Esther Rees married Sarah Snook 1871 Lewisham and emigrating to Salt Lake City where he died 28.6.1891 (his death record gives parents John and Esther Rees).
I can only see the 1871 census in London ,marriage registration and his death record to back this up.

Ciderdrinker

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline corinthian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Rees and Martha Williams.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker,

Thanks for that.

I'm doing a bit more research on that John Rees now. It could be the correct person. It's a pity that neither John or any other members of his family are traceable in the 1861 census. I may order the marriage cert for John & Sarah Snook, which took place in 1857, as the full image doesn't appear to be available on-line. The only thing that throws me is that via the 1871 census John is recorded as being born in Swansea not Milton, Steynton but I suppose this could be an error.  He is recorded as being a blacksmith in 1871, which would tie up with the records in the 1851 census.

I think it unlikely that father, John, is the John Rees baptised in Glamorganshire on 02/04/1815, as found on on-line trees. Although the parents are recorded as Thomas & Martha I think the correct John would have been older, (his parents married in 1804 & his brother, David, was born in 1805), & that he would have been baptised nearer his place of birth.

Thanks for your input. It's really appreciated.

Regards

Coreen